US Spec Laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I have been offered a US spec laptop. As I understand it, the US has a different voltage from the UK. Would I need a new UK charger? Or, could I get away with a US to UK plug adapter? Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, you can either use a travel plug, change the power cord for a UK one or just cut the end off and fit a UK plug.

Most laptop chargers can handle 100v > 230v input and I think the US use 115v.

It won't blow up in your face if it can't handle less than 230v as you are dropping the input voltage. It just won't work if that is the case.

The other way around would be a different story!

The only issue will be it will probably have a US keyboard meaning the £ won't be above the 3 like on UK keyboards - but if you can live with that, or use an external keyboard, you will be fine.

Windows Key + Spacebar will allow you to change the Keyboard into UK. however the physical keys will be labeled differently for @ etc.

Last edited:
Will it have a QWERTY or AZERTY keyboard ? You can find £ just as you can find é á ó € on most keyboards with a bit of research .

But be aware you will never be able to type in the correct spelling or grey , tyres or colour . You will never be able to write a post regarding your car number plates/bonnet/boot and the word petrol will be omitted .

If you ask it to find out where the best Tomatoes can be purchased it won't understand you :banana::banana::p

I use a US spec one - it was easier to pick up a new laptop when i was at Head Office in Houston when last there. It works fine - the only pain is indeed the £ sign but i just use ALT 0163. I use a docking station most of the time and the three pin adapter when travelling is no issue really. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a US spec one but if the price is right it's no biggie.

Forgot to add - if you use an external keyboard as said above it's no problem, you just change the setting to English and you get the £ etc where it should be.

I knew I came to the right place. And yes, the price is right !

Depending on the exact design of the laptop, it may be possible to change the keyboard out for a UK one with relative ease/inexpense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom