• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Viano brake noise under load

almichie

Car
Mercedes Viano Grand Edition Avantgarde
Good morning,

First post in here!

Recently bought a Viano and having working through some minor bits and bobs to bring it up together. I have a set of pads to fit, but was going to wait until back from a trip…

In the way, on the trip, under loaded braking, the brakes are making some noise. It’s odd as if I am careful they are quiet, under load approaching stop it sounds a bit like they are grinding but my thought is if the pads were out, they are out and they would grind all the time no matter what.

Interested on opinions before I take it to a local garage…

Thank you

Just wondering, as I’ve watched a few videos now to try and get an idea, if when I removed the off side caliper to check the slide bolts if I haven’t followed a tightening up procedure correctly - they are Brembo calipers - one video I saw slid a feeler gauge in to hold the slider off of the caliper body and I am wondering if it could be something as simple as this?

Is this a 639 with Brembo calipers Alichie ?
If so, then it's probably the same as I have on my Vito. When working correctly, i've found them to be pretty impressive brakes for a little van imho.
When I first got mine it had been neglected, and renovating the brakes was one of the first tasks I took on.
I stripped & rebuilt the calipers, so if you do have the same, I can take a look back and see if anything I did was counterintuitive.?

one video I saw slid a feeler gauge in to hold the slider off of the caliper body and I am wondering if it could be something as simple as this?
Not heard of this, but who knows maybe I could learn summat.

Noise under load is more likely to be drive train or suspension (changing it's attitude) imo.
T'other possible is tyres, especially as they get worn or older.

We need to fit load rated tyres, that means a stiffer side wall. So more noise can be transmitted through / from them.
The sidewall shows the age, if they are older they might have hardened tread.
You might try increasing pressures some.

Not heard of this, but who knows maybe I could learn summat.

Noise under load is more likely to be drive train or suspension (changing it's attitude) imo.
T'other possible is tyres, especially as they get worn or older.

We need to fit load rated tyres, that means a stiffer side wall. So more noise can be transmitted through / from them.
The sidewall shows the age, if they are older they might have hardened tread.
You might try increasing pressures some.
Thanks - I mean braking with additional pressure on the pedal.

Looking at some information about floating calipers any wear on the guide pin causes the pads to hit the lower section of the disc and potentially grind, which is sort of the noise I have

Reactions: m80
Is this a 639 with Brembo calipers Alichie ?
If so, then it's probably the same as I have on my Vito. When working correctly, i've found them to be pretty impressive brakes for a little van imho.
When I first got mine it had been neglected, and renovating the brakes was one of the first tasks I took on.
I stripped & rebuilt the calipers, so if you do have the same, I can take a look back and see if anything I did was counterintuitive.?
It is, yes. 2014.

Did you just do the guides, pins and pads or did you do the pistons as well?

I have, sadly, snapped a bleed nipple off on the near side when I was flushing the fluid. The rears were fine, the fronts were both very tight so I left the one I haven’t snapped and left it with just the rears with new fluid.

It is, yes. 2014.

Did you just do the guides, pins and pads or did you do the pistons as well?

I have, sadly, snapped a bleed nipple off on the near side when I was flushing the fluid. The rears were fine, the fronts were both very tight so I left the one I haven’t snapped and left it with just the rears with new fluid.
Mine is older, a 2007 109cdi. However it has the Brembo calipers up front.
When I refurbished the calipers I stripped them completely, pistons out the lot. New bleed nipples in stainless steel too.
The sliders were utterly stuffed on one side, as someone had previously worked on them but lubed them up with copperslip instead of silicon grease. I brought a secondhand caliper from fleabay, and made one perfect setup between the two calipers.
Fwiw I did notice that one of the front brakes had been wearing the pads unevenly (the copperslip side iirc) and when I first drove the van the brakes were only "ok" (not "excellent", as I would say they are now) and there was some noise from somewhere. I couldn't really say much about it though, as I hardly used the van before I re-vamped the braking on it.

So we drove all the way from Dorset to North Wales gently and then whilst up there had Kwik Fit (I know …) have a Quick Look and they said they couldn’t see anything that might be causing the issue.

So we had our holiday and drove home again and got back last night.

Whilst away I ordered what I thought was a pin kit but sadly the kit had the wrong pins, which I found out when I had the calipers off and had to use the single use bolts to put them back together. The pins that are there are free, but had some damage to the boots so I also changed those as they did fit. I also changed the pads from what ever they were to brembo original pads. The offside was about 3mm of material left so they did need doing and I did find a protruding ring of rust on the inside on the inner face of the disc. I used a file to remove - this had made a grove in the pads so I wonder if that was it … will take it out tomorrow and report back.

Well the noise has gone. It must have been either the inner lip or the wear sensor - it was a bit chewed up… Happy days

Well the noise has gone. It must have been either the inner lip or the wear sensor - it was a bit chewed up… Happy days
Well done, it's satisfying when you manage to resolve annoying issues like that.

Well done, it's satisfying when you manage to resolve annoying issues like that.
Indeed, on to the next thing… I am hoping once all these little niggles are resolved it will be just regular maintenance and 6 monthly checks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom