Vibration - and not a good one!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richeyrich

Car
C200 Sport CDI
Morning all,

I have a C200 Sport CDI 6 Speed Manual (W204?). 60,000 miles. The cars in good condition but it has limited service history, MB up to 20,000 and then just receipts for filters, oil etc.

I had a new water pump fitted due to a leak on the bearing end seal; that was 3000 miles ago.

Over the weekend I drove about 200 motorway miles. On the way home on Sunday I was noticing a numbness in my hands. Checked the steering wheel for wheels out of balance, there's not major wobble at any speed through the range.

There seems to be a minor, engine kinda frequency vibration that I can feel through the gear stick and the wheel, this seems to be there when stationary and when moving - but I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid and that's the usual level of vibration from an inline diesel engine.

My hands are defiantly feeling numb though after driving the car - kinda like when you've been using a drill for a while or a reciprocating saw. What are peoples thoughts, engine mount, due mass fly wheel .... ???

Any ideas much appreciated.

Rich

Start with rebalancing all 4 wheels

Then a 4 wheel alignment geometry check

Then check the engine and gearbox mounts..

I'm feeling like its probably the moun
Go straight to this....

.....wheels can be square and will not impact when the car is stationary - or be of a frequency to numb digits.

Thanks - at 60k you think that's likely? What do you think a decent independent would cost it at, or could it be done DIY?

I'm feeling like its probably the moun

Thanks - at 60k you think that's likely? What do you think a decent independent would cost it at, or could it be done DIY?

Possibly just wear/age related. But, maybe worth retracing steps ie water pump replacement. If the engine was jacked at all to ease access then possibly overstrained a mount which has now failed. Only a possibility though not gospel.

It does sound as if the engine vibes are getting a clear run to the cabin. I get what you describe after 2&1/2 hours with a strimmer. You shouldn't in a Mercedes!

Can't comment on DIY proposition or not. Kind of depends on if anything has to be removed for access. An indy should know the job and provide a quote on the phone. Meantimes, have a look under the bonnet and see if you can home in on the sorce of the vibration. Mounts (obviously) but have a look for anything detached making contact with the rest of the car.

On the CLS the mounts were oil filled and MB quoted 4hrs to replace.
Jack at PCS did them in just 45min...
You'd really need a lift to work from underneath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom