• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Vibration when braking at high speed

2FGcrew

Car
GLC
Hi
I started to feel vibration/shudder when braking my GLC at speeds above 60/70mph. All discs and pads replaced ~18 months ago (only 30% wear!)
Merc garage replaced front discs and pads (£££) but problem still there…..
Any thoughts what else it could be?
Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

Hi
I started to feel vibration/shudder when braking my GLC at speeds above 60/70mph. All discs and pads replaced ~18 months ago (only 30% wear!)
Thanks
How many miles has the car done ?

Hi
Thanks
Where do you feel the vibration? Through the steering wheel or seat? Or somewhere else?

My money is on the discs.....

I had a similar problem on w211 a while back turned out to be a piston stuck in 4 pot calliper. Was told by garage to get a new calliper, but I decided to take on the job myself. Bought a complete overhaul kit from brakes international and refurbished. Been fine.

Vibration when braking always makes people suspect the brakes.....logical really - but ime it is often suspension bushes -lower control arm bushes for example. Try jacking up each front wheel and see if there is any play when you get hold of the wheel both across the horizontal and vertical axes

Vibration when braking always makes people suspect the brakes.....logical really - but ime it is often suspension bushes -lower control arm bushes for example. Try jacking up each front wheel and see if there is any play when you get hold of the wheel both across the horizontal and vertical axes
I had the same symptoms as the OP on a C Class.

In that case it was worn bushes on the lower control arms.

Is it vibration felt through the pedal upon braking at certain speeds?

If it is, check that you don't have sticky piston or slider pins. If it seems okay, then remove the disc, clean up the hub with wire brush and reinstall but refit the disc by rotating it say 90 degrees. Then check for run out tolerance, if you have a wobble then you can either complain and request for replacement of defective disc. If no joy, the other option is to do pro cut. Recommend a change of pads too after a pro cut.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
So it turn out that when the garage actually looked at it properly there were two bolts missing from one of my rear wheels and this had warped the disc. Also, the rear tyres had been fitted the wrong way round (not sure if this contributed to the warping..). Probably happened when I had all 4 tyres replaced.
So new rear discs and pads and replacement bolts have sorted the issue. Shame the garage hadn’t checked properly before they got me to replace the front ones!

thanks for all your thoughts and comments.

So it turn out that when the garage actually looked at it properly there were two bolts missing from one of my rear wheels and this had warped the disc. Also, the rear tyres had been fitted the wrong way round (not sure if this contributed to the warping..). Probably happened when I had all 4 tyres replaced.
So new rear discs and pads and replacement bolts have sorted the issue. Shame the garage hadn’t checked properly before they got me to replace the front ones!

thanks for all your thoughts and comments.
Mother of God !!

That's horrific😯, thankfully nobody was injured & no accidents happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom