• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Visa terminals

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Hello, anyone had experience of or use these at work?. I have to carry out a 'ball park' costing to equip about 20 field service engineers with remote Visa terminals. They would be taking payment for extra over work in customers houses therefore the terminal itself would use, I'm presuming, either the mobile phone network or some form of sattelite?.

I've got to look at hire or purchase costs of the equipiment and also the processing costs of the transactions themselves and set these against what is going to be relataively low value,(read profit), types of work.

Thanks in advance.

Portzy.

Have you spoken to the main suppliers such as streamline, barclays merchant services, bank of scotland merchant services etc? they use GPRS to work remotely...

Rock and a hard place comes to mind. If you only use the old fashioned card swipe paper machine, the credit card company will charge around 5% for each transaction. If you go electronic, it will be less probably 2.5% but you will need to hire the machines. As Jaymanec said, check out all the suppliers of the machines, streamline are probably the biggest.

I got part way through an on line enquiry process but they wanted far too much information than I, or rather the company, was prepared to give them. Such as bank and turnover details VAT numbers etc, as if they were going to run some checks etc.

I dont want to lead any particular Visa company up the garden path so to speak, just a ball park from those who are presently using such systems.

The chances are that the projected tunover/profit from the extra work will more than likely make the project non-viable when weighed against all of the total costs involed but, I have to put some form of financial case together to either proceed with caution and be prepared to pull the idea or to not proceed at all.

Its just the type of work environment that I am in thats all, my management wont take a punt on things without a shedload of facts and figures which I can understand but to me, this one is a no brainer when the turnover/profit is weighed against the costs that I know about already.

Portzy.

I will PM you the number of my streamline rep..

Try contacting your bank. The costs will vary depending on the amount of business the terminal/s process, fees and rental are always negotiable. A lot of terminals are Chip & Pin enabled, if you carry out "mail order" or "customer not present" type sales, this can be a problem.

They can either use GPRS or Wifi dependent upon the application - presume you'd need GPRS.

You can get the hand units from a number of sources, including the manufacturers, although most are sourced through merchant acquirers. They are generally acquired under a 3 year lease agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom