• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Vito 639 2nd row bench seat

UgandanMorris

Car
Vito 113 CDI
Hello

I'm currently planning to add another row of rear bench seats to my 2014 XLWB Dualiner, effectively turning it into a Traveliner.

I want to fit 2+1 'comfort' seats but I have noticed on a number of traveliners that the single seat is positioned on the offside (1+2) when it comes to the rear row.

I have my eye on set but the single seat is on the nearside (same as the first row). Does anyone know if these seats will fit in this configuration? I'm planning on installing 4 seat brackets anyway so it won't matter where the legs are. Maybe the interior trim panelling is a different shape on one side? I'm not sure why merc have done this but I'm sure there is a reason for it.

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Jon

If you have 4 rails or floor retainers I'm pretty sure it will.
The 2 seat part uses rails 1&3, the +1 clips to the 2 part and then uses rail 4.
The rails / floor retainers are equidistant to each other.

Row 2, 3 or facing rearward, it's a versatile system.

Edit,
you might need research the fitting of the floor retainers, and insurance compliance.

As m80 said the centre row 2+1 comfort seat floor fitting points are equally spaced. On my Dualiner the single is on the nearside, which is standard on UK vehicles. I don't know for sure about Traveliner 3rd row seats though.

Apart from the floor fittings for a 3rd row you will need to add rear side windows to make it equivalent to a traveliner. This work may indeed be an issue for insurance ... it will definitely be classed as a modified vehicle, which some companies will not be prepared to cover. Those that do will almost certainly want evidence of the seat installation being done to OEM standard because of the risk to rear passengers in a crash, and the potential to have more people on board is likely to put the premium up regardless. You'd also need to contact the DVLA about the extra seats.

I would check this out carefully ... you may actually be better off swapping it for a Traveliner.

As m80 said the centre row 2+1 comfort seat floor fitting points are equally spaced. On my Dualiner the single is on the nearside, which is standard on UK vehicles. I don't know for sure about Traveliner 3rd row seats though.

Apart from the floor fittings for a 3rd row you will need to add rear side windows to make it equivalent to a traveliner. This work may indeed be an issue for insurance ... it will definitely be classed as a modified vehicle, which some companies will not be prepared to cover. Those that do will almost certainly want evidence of the seat installation being done to OEM standard because of the risk to rear passengers in a crash, and the potential to have more people on board is likely to put the premium up regardless. You'd also need to contact the DVLA about the extra seats.

I would check this out carefully ... you may actually be better off swapping it for a Traveliner.
Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I rang Admiral about adding 3 seats and 2 windows. They seemed a bit casual about the whole thing. They said for the remaining 3 months I have left on my policy it will cost an extra £80. I asked them if they needed supporting photos etc and they said no. I might just ring them again to be sure.

As for the DVLA I'll send the V5 back with a covering letter and some photo's and hope for the best!

I have thought about a traveliner but most are ex taxis with 150k + on the clock, and I don't fancy a 447 vito.

You might try comparison sites to see if renewal would be an issue.

But yeh, many Traveliners and Viano's are ex taxis, and with the true mileage disguised.

You might try comparison sites to see if renewal would be an issue.

But yeh, many Traveliners and Viano's are ex taxis, and with the true mileage disguised.
Good point re renewal, I will have a look into that before I start anything.

Thanks

The other option might be a W639 Viano - plenty of those around, but I don't think they have 8/9 seat options if that's critical for you.

The other option might be a W639 Viano - plenty of those around, but I don't think they have 8/9 seat options if that's critical for you.
8 seats max, if 2 benches in the rear. But the majority will have been taxis.
To reduce the risk of being a mega mile ex taxi 6 seats at delivery, demonstrable by the VIN, and not having had benches installed later, is what's best.
I look at MOT history and if more often than 12 monthly it looks like a taxi. But some authorities don't require it. Then the service history MUST be available and comply with MOT's.
It's difficult to find genuine.

The only commercial Vianos I saw in London were hotel shuttles ... a bit more upmarket than a taxi :D but could still rack up the miles I guess. Much more common were actual Vito Taxis (with the rear steering to meet the turn radius requirement). Loads of those.

Reactions: m80
The only commercial Vianos I saw in London were hotel shuttles ... a bit more upmarket than a taxi :D but could still rack up the miles I guess. Much more common were actual Vito Taxis (with the rear steering to meet the turn radius requirement). Loads of those.
I've seen many Viano's having had 6 monthly MOT's, for a part of their life at least. Pretty sure that's a London requirement. Not sure where else might need the same.
When I see the 2 MOT's p.a. I assume a true mileage of 40k p.a., when the mileage is around 20k and often less than 12k I assume the mileage to be false.

Thanks for the advice.

I went with those seats in the end, I just had to remove the outer arm rests and they slotted in nicely.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through on this 3rd row seating retrofit. I had my 10 mm steel bars ready, drilled and tapped to M10 x 1.5 and coated with a zinc spray. I didn't have any measurements to go off so I decided to flick through photos of traveliners on auto trader as a reference 🙈. Anyway, I started drilling and to my amazement i found a captivated nut! I drilled the other two holes and there they were!! Well I calmly put the drill down and slid on my knees in euphoria 😂.
That's saved me so much time and it means that nothing has been 'made' for this job, its all MB.

Just got to cut the flooring to accommodate the new mounting plates and let dvla and insurance know now.

Thanks for the advice.

I went with those seats in the end, I just had to remove the outer arm rests and they slotted in nicely.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through on this 3rd row seating retrofit. I had my 10 mm steel bars ready, drilled and tapped to M10 x 1.5 and coated with a zinc spray. I didn't have any measurements to go off so I decided to flick through photos of traveliners on auto trader as a reference 🙈. Anyway, I started drilling and to my amazement i found a captivated nut! I drilled the other two holes and there they were!! Well I calmly put the drill down and slid on my knees in euphoria 😂.
That's saved me so much time and it means that nothing has been 'made' for this job, its all MB.

Just got to cut the flooring to accommodate the new mounting plates and let dvla and insurance know now.
Hi Jon

Im hoping to do the same move as you and add a thrid row on my dualiner, I dont suppose you have the measurements you used for drilling? Not sure my yoda like senses for finding the captive nuts would be up to the job! Also did you put the 4th row in? I notice a lot of the vianos and traveliners are missing it, possibly because of the fuel tank?

Looking forward to hopefully matching your euphoria!!!

Thanks
Joel

Thanks for the advice.

Hi, I had a SWB Vito W369
Thanks for the advice.

Hi Jon, I would be also interested in the location of the rear brackets? I had a SWB Vito W639 that I fitted a third row in and it was written off after a rat ate some of the wiring loom (don't leave food in any vehicles) I purchased a 2014 LWB W639 and assumed the captive nuts would be in the same place, thus leaving more room behind the 3rd row of seats. So far it seems not and I just assumed they stopped fitting the captive nuts after the facelift until I read your thread. In the SWB the seat anchor brackets are 18cm apart. How far apart are they on yours? I wrongly assumed they would all be 18cm apart. Thanks Dave PS. I read that all Vito's have the captive nuts fitted from the factory, even box vans. Was the case on my 2006 model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom