Vito W639 heated seat retrofit help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vitotech

Car
Vito
Newbie on here having picked up my first Vito a couple of months ago for work, slowly been improving it as time and money allows.
Its a 2013 facelift 113cdi LWB manual pretty basic spec but once my list of to-do jobs have been ticked off it won't be :p
One of my to do list was to fit some leather front seats along with some heated elements.
I managed to find a pair of Viano leather front seats (both passenger seats) I knew they can be split down so just switched everything over to the original drivers seat from my Vito, I also fitted 3 stage carbon heated elements and was planning on wiring in the switches at some point until I spotted some Vito Brabus wheels listed on E-bay.
Anyways I ended up heading down to Matlock (Derby) to take a look at the Brabus alloys and front spoiler, the chap Jason sorted a smashing deal for me and I also managed to pick up a few other small items one of them the original heated seat switches for 3 stage heated elements which brings me back to the the main topic.
Could I use the OEM switches with the carbon heated elements, if this is possible do I use the loom provided with the elements or make another loom?

Image of the van below with previous companies logo.

Attachments

• IMG-20221018-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20221018-WA0015.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3
Newbie on here having picked up my first Vito a couple of months ago for work, slowly been improving it as time and money allows.
Its a 2013 facelift 113cdi LWB manual pretty basic spec but once my list of to-do jobs have been ticked off it won't be :p
One of my to do list was to fit some leather front seats along with some heated elements.
I managed to find a pair of Viano leather front seats (both passenger seats) I knew they can be split down so just switched everything over to the original drivers seat from my Vito, I also fitted 3 stage carbon heated elements and was planning on wiring in the switches at some point until I spotted some Vito Brabus wheels listed on E-bay.
Anyways I ended up heading down to Matlock (Derby) to take a look at the Brabus alloys and front spoiler, the chap Jason sorted a smashing deal for me and I also managed to pick up a few other small items one of them the original heated seat switches for 3 stage heated elements which brings me back to the the main topic.
Could I use the OEM switches with the carbon heated elements, if this is possible do I use the loom provided with the elements or make another loom?

Image of the van below with previous companies logo.
The carbon elements will work but I think you’ll need the loom for the switches. Can you get it from the van the switches came from?

'If' I remember,
the switches are present behind blanks on the 639. It's possible to remove the blank and fit the correct covers. Pressing the switch it will illuminate.
It is possible to remove the blank/s with the dash in situ. Narrow scraper down one side push sideways and pull on blank cover.
So you could try that and see if I'm correct.

'If' I'm right that is a canbus signal to the SAM, so it 'may' need coding for an output.
But on all 639's I've had replacement SAM's have been plug and play, with all facilities available, so that contradicts the 'may' need coding.

Fuse 30 in the under bonnet fuse enclosure, that's F35 rail, bottom left bottom row, 2nd from right, is the output to seat heaters. This is a permanent output, I couldn't tell you how the voltage to the heaters is controlled. But I would expect it to be within the SAM.

On a 2006 Vito the base and back rest heater elements tested at 4.2 ohms each. In parallel, so 2.1 ohms loading. Worth checking before install.

Attachments

• 639 Fuse Board.jpg
    639 Fuse Board.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
The factory heated driver's seat in our 2007 Vito is only 2-stage, but maybe this changed in the facelift??
I was trying to remember that. Our 2014 is 3 stage.
The system, SAM methinks, reduces the voltage at 5 minutes, again at 20 minutes, then low setting remains as long as desired.
Hi setting often times out after the 5 minutes, I don't use low setting.

Yep ours drops from high to low then stays on that. Pretty sure the 3-stage on the car (S205) turns off completely after a certain length of time.

Reactions: m80
I've just compared the 639 and 211, in the book of many secrets.

3 to 2 - 5 mins
2 to1 - 10 mins
1 continuous.

3 to 2 - 5 mins
2 to 1 - 10 mins
1 off after 20 mins.

Both a bit different to my earlier 203. so much for me thinking they would be the same.

The carbon elements will work but I think you’ll need the loom for the switches. Can you get it from the van the switches came from?

Unfortunately not as seats had already been sold with connectors cut from car loom and sent with Interior.

@m80 I did read up somewhere that the original switch panel would have the switch points already in place and all is needed is the actual blanks swapping for the switch cover instead.

I dismantled the heated switch panel to see for myself and also see if I can fit the Eco switch from my existing switch panel.

From what I can see is the circuit board is pretty much fully loaded however its missing the LED's for switches not in use so I would need to get this sorted for the Eco switch works as normal.

Also been searching switch panels on ebay to see if the connector pins for heated seats are already in place on standard switch panel's which they're not, this also needs to be looked at if using existing switch panel.

Luckily the heated switch panel I picked up yesterday has the connector with it with some wire so makes the job a little easy.

The heated seat connector only has 3 wires

Black Grey

Black Purple

Black Red

Now the Black/Red would be to the fused power supply, the other 2 would be left/right seat which leaves me with one spare wire at each seat from the heated elements, is this the - ground?

Took some pictures of the switch panel dismantled and of the connector plug for the heated seats.

Unloaded the van in morning before going work thought it would be rude not to take pictures of the Brabus goodies 😉

Attachments

• 20221214_220700.jpg
    20221214_220700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221214_220719.jpg
    20221214_220719.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221214_220731.jpg
    20221214_220731.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221214_220945.jpg
    20221214_220945.jpg