W123 Oils, fluids & bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dot

Car
1985 W123 300TD & 1990 W124 300TE
Hello,

I’ve recently delved back into classic Mercedes ownership in the form of a 1985 W123 300TD auto in classic white with 157k on. Structurally excellent, but currently not running due to problems extracting an aftermarket 80s alarm system which the previous owner lost the will with.

So, I’ve got a chap coming round this week to sort that out which should, all things being well mean I’m ready to re-commission and roll.

My reason for posting are just to get any other owners opinions on fluids and so on. I know this is a subjective subject and everyone has their own ways, but upon searching for info I end up on US forums and using products we don’t have here. I’ll list what I think I’ll use, and if there are better suggestions please say?

Engine oil - Shell Helix HX7 5w40
SLS fluid - Febi ZH-M
Auto box - don’t know
Diff - don’t know
Coolant - which colour or brand?
PAS - which colour or brand?

I don’t really need all the technical mumbo-jumbo, just decent easy to find options please?

On to belts - I can’t find any info on this - it’s the OM617 running two belts. They’re a bit cracked, so I need to replace. Just reticent to use what ECP throw up without checking.

Best battery to use?

Are there any decent sourced for window rubbers and I’m also thinking of replacing the sunroof seal as a preventative measure if anyone knows anyone?

Also, and lastly for now, should the car have two reinforcing bars (in body colour) at the front end from the front top crossmember down to behind the bumper? I only appear to have one. easy enough to source I expect.

Pictures attached for reference, thanks for reading,

Dot

Attachments

• B4F7A68F-07C3-43EE-95F7-5D0429BADDBF.jpeg
    B4F7A68F-07C3-43EE-95F7-5D0429BADDBF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 7F61B0F3-BB06-4C66-A0FD-DB07917990FD.jpeg
    7F61B0F3-BB06-4C66-A0FD-DB07917990FD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 950A7EAD-10A7-492B-8F47-742B3A6B5C2F.jpeg
    950A7EAD-10A7-492B-8F47-742B3A6B5C2F.jpeg
    761.5 KB · Views: 7
Hello,

I’ve recently delved back into classic Mercedes ownership in the form of a 1985 W123 300TD auto in classic white with 157k on. Structurally excellent, but currently not running due to problems extracting an aftermarket 80s alarm system which the previous owner lost the will with.

So, I’ve got a chap coming round this week to sort that out which should, all things being well mean I’m ready to re-commission and roll.

My reason for posting are just to get any other owners opinions on fluids and so on. I know this is a subjective subject and everyone has their own ways, but upon searching for info I end up on US forums and using products we don’t have here. I’ll list what I think I’ll use, and if there are better suggestions please say?

SLS fluid - Febi ZH-M
Auto box - don’t know
Diff - don’t know

I don’t really need all the technical mumbo-jumbo, just decent easy to find options please?

On to belts - I can’t find any info on this - it’s the OM617 running two belts. They’re a bit cracked, so I need to replace. Just reticent to use what ECP throw up without checking.

Best battery to use?

Are there any decent sourced for window rubbers and I’m also thinking of replacing the sunroof seal as a preventative measure if anyone knows anyone?

Also, and lastly for now, should the car have two reinforcing bars (in body colour) at the front end from the front top crossmember down to behind the bumper? I only appear to have one. easy enough to source I expect.

Dot car.
A very nice car. Engine oil i would have thought plain old semi synthetic 10W40 changed frequently (every 3000miles) would suffice for an old n/a diesel. Mann oil/air/fuel filters are OE and often cheap online (ECP/ Carparts4less) A good battery brand is Varta. Bad brand Lion- avoid.
Have you tried the parts department of your local Mercedes main dealer? They may have what you need. Mercedes Benz Newcastle, if you prefer to deal online, are very helpful and can be contacted via their ebay shop.

Reactions: dot
Hello,

SLS fluid - Febi ZH-M
Auto box - don’t know
Diff - don’t know

Best battery to use?

Dot
Yup just one. Not sure why, but that's all they are made with.

I've not purchased from this company but was planning to when I got around to it, for window seals: Window Weatherstrip

Sunroof seal is an important one, as much of the rust on these can be traced back to a leaky one (and windscreen and rear window seals). Check out Mercedessource for a how-to, although Kent doesn't ship to the UK afaik. But you can get the info you need from his YouTube channel or website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom