• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 hearse, convert to camper?

quenching

Car
'84 W201 2.0E, '91 W124 230TE estate
I know of an W124 hearse in excellent condition that may be for sale and the debate has arisen about the possibility of converting it to a camper van of sorts :crazy: Its still fully fitted out as a hearse with beautiful walnut "load bay", how practical is it likely to be to convert it to a camper van? I know very little, if anything, about either!

I know of an W124 hearse in excellent condition that may be for sale and the debate has arisen about the possibility of converting it to a camper van of sorts :crazy: Its still fully fitted out as a hearse with beautiful walnut "load bay", how practical is it likely to be to convert it to a camper van? I know very little, if anything, about either!

Dead easy if all you want to do is lie down in it ;)

Once a hearse-----always a hearse-----???:dk: As I recall many of these "chassis only" originals had poverty spec engines 2.5 non-turbo diesel or 2 litre petrol with a low back axle ratio---- as it was anticipated they would not be doing any drag racing. You may find its "Mercedes" body to the B pillar and then coachbuilt to the rear of that.

i see the appeal of this, but only really if you are a W124 enthusiast, otherwise best to buy something else i suspect.

i love my caravan which i tow with my W124. If i wanted a motor home, a E300D hearse would suit, but it would have to be diesel for me.

Once a hearse-----always a hearse-----???:dk: As I recall many of these "chassis only" originals had poverty spec engines 2.5 non-turbo diesel or 2 litre petrol with a low back axle ratio---- as it was anticipated they would not be doing any drag racing. You may find its "Mercedes" body to the B pillar and then coachbuilt to the rear of that.

Probably still a more capable cruiser than any pre-1990s VW van though I would have thought?

Probably still a more capable cruiser than any pre-1990s VW van though I would have thought?

the T3 had some fast variants and the layout is better for sleeping arrangements, but mostly slow and very rust prone. It might be worth getting one of the camper conversion companies to have a look at what is possible in the available space.

I spotted this LR it would make a cracking if thirsty camper

1988 Land Rover 130 3.5 V8 Hi Roof 4x4 Van A/C 240v Power | eBay

maybe they couldn't afford the petrol:) Would make a fine camper but I think that the V8 would have to go or maybe a lpg conversion

An ambulance would be a better bet for a camper, there's a few w124 ones around still (LHD only), here's one based on a w210:
w210 ambulance

An ambulance would be a better bet for a camper, there's a few w124 ones around still (LHD only), here's one based on a w210:
w210 ambulance

That W210 ambulance is giant! Looks like it has a metre long extension in the middle.

This would probably lend itself to a nice conversion in the right hands. Looking well for nearly half a million kilometres of what you would think would be pretty stressed usage.

Sounds like a quality idea, always nice to have something unique. Definitely post some pics if you do go for it.

a little late on this thred i know but i am half way thu converting a 1988 volvo 740 hearse into a camper at the moment was wondering if anyone had heard of any other camper hearses around cant find anything on the web. oh and i know its not a merc but what can i say it was a bargain!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom