• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 Quandry

Vectrolosys

Car
91 300TE, 88 XJ40 3.6
Hello,

I am currently debating what to do with my W124 200TE. It's a fantastic car that has not put a foot wrong in the year I have owned it, but I feel the next MOT may be a failure due to the rust on the suspension pipework, not a big issue as it is something I am more than capable of replacing. The underside is generally rust free, with mainly surface stuff on the suspension components.

My Quandry is this however.

If I had a theoretical £2000 to spend, I could easily get an early E39 528i Touring, I could also get a very nice W124.

Which brings me to looking at Autotrader. At present, there is a lovely, 1 owner 300TE 4 matic on there, for £1995. My concern, is it has been there since before Christmas, and I have read some horror stories about the transfer box and gearbox, there also seems to be a shortage of really nice 300TE's are present.

Advantages for me, of going for a W124, low, classic insurance, top notch build and a pleasant drive.

Disadvantages, potential for rust in really awkward places (behind the rear wing on my W124).

I think my ultimate question is what would other people do? go for a 4 matic in blinding condition with 1 owner, go for a 300TE if one came up in very nice condition, or go for a modern, handsome looking 528i Touring?

Thanks,

James

Hello,

I am currently debating what to do with my W124 200TE. It's a fantastic car that has not put a foot wrong in the year I have owned it, but I feel the next MOT may be a failure due to the rust on the suspension pipework, not a big issue as it is something I am more than capable of replacing. The underside is generally rust free, with mainly surface stuff on the suspension components.

My Quandry is this however.

If I had a theoretical £2000 to spend, I could easily get an early E39 528i Touring, I could also get a very nice W124.

Which brings me to looking at Autotrader. At present, there is a lovely, 1 owner 300TE 4 matic on there, for £1995. My concern, is it has been there since before Christmas, and I have read some horror stories about the transfer box and gearbox, there also seems to be a shortage of really nice 300TE's are present.

Advantages for me, of going for a W124, low, classic insurance, top notch build and a pleasant drive.

Disadvantages, potential for rust in really awkward places (behind the rear wing on my W124).

I think my ultimate question is what would other people do? go for a 4 matic in blinding condition with 1 owner, go for a 300TE if one came up in very nice condition, or go for a modern, handsome looking 528i Touring?

Thanks,

James

Patch up the 200TE and use the 2 grand to buy something for the weekends?

124 300TE or similar. 4matic is a can of worms. We have an E39 T and at this price point they can and do cost big bucks.

E39 around that price isn't going to be a blinder. And the 528 is obviously an earlier E39.

Do you need the option of 7 seats on the TE?

I would buy the W124. Problems are likely to be predictable, but straight forward, especially since you have had a W124. But will you recognise the problems with a cheap E39?

I'd go for the best 300TE you can find, and avoid the 4-matic.

Patch up the 200TE and use the 2 grand to buy something for the weekends?

I have a 1988 XJ40 3.6 that I tend to have for weekends, I've owned it for 7 years now, though I really have to get it MOT'd for this summer.

I see your point though, the 200TE is a great car, and does provide leisurely performance when not fully loaded. However, something with a bit more poke could be nice.

124 300TE or similar. 4matic is a can of worms. We have an E39 T and at this price point they can and do cost big bucks.

My thoughts exactly. The Nikasil and Vanos issues are what worry me, though the Vanos looks easy enough to replace, it's still an added complication that sends me running to the relative safety of the 1980's (if you know what I mean :) ).

E39 around that price isn't going to be a blinder. And the 528 is obviously an earlier E39.

Do you need the option of 7 seats on the TE?

I would buy the W124. Problems are likely to be predictable, but straight forward, especially since you have had a W124. But will you recognise the problems with a cheap E39?

I'd go for the best 300TE you can find, and avoid the 4-matic.

That's what I was thinking. 7 seats are not essential, my 200TE does not have this facility. As already stated, Vanos and Nikasil issues worry me about the E39 528i with the M52 lump, but the good looks attract me. However, I cannot insure one for just 168 quid a year, fully comp.

Shame about the 4 matic though, it looks very nice but the added complexity would just be waiting for a issues to happen.

My thoughts exactly. The Nikasil and Vanos issues are what worry me, though the Vanos looks easy enough to replace, it's still an added complication that sends me running to the relative safety of the 1980's (if you know what I mean :) ).

When I had the Vanos x2 replaced on my M5 it was a 7 grand warranty claim!

When I had the Vanos x2 replaced on my M5 it was a 7 grand warranty claim!

Ouch!!

From what I have read, it's a classic example of poor design. The sealing ring destroys itself causing the issues.....7K is a painful figure though :(.

Workhorse or enthusiast's special ?

If you want an almost unique car in good running condition then go for it. If its been a genuine one owner car its quite possible its had the transfer box replaced at some point. I would get a bit more info/ detailed service history before condemning it out of hand. Really depends if you are looking for a cheap workhorse to run into the ground or an interesting car to spend some time and money on to enjoy running and maintaining? As long as you realise what you are taking on?

If you want an almost unique car in good running condition then go for it. If its been a genuine one owner car its quite possible its had the transfer box replaced at some point. I would get a bit more info/ detailed service history before condemning it out of hand. Really depends if you are looking for a cheap workhorse to run into the ground or an interesting car to spend some time and money on to enjoy running and maintaining? As long as you realise what your are taking on?

That's the thing. I tend to cycle to and from work, I have my XJ40 for lavishing time and money on, but need a useful family car for shopping, trips out and general bits and bobs, however, I tend to look after the car in the same way as my XJ40 and only tend to use it at weekends, hence why the immaculate 4 matic perked my interest. If I did go for it, I would check it over thoroughly as it does look genuinely good and has a nice spec too.

take a look at picasa album in sig. Check it out.

Reasons for buying include...
  • inline fuel pump
  • no turbo, original 2 valve engine
  • plenty of frippery electrical stuff, but no digital electronic stuff
  • essentially no rust worth mentioning
  • essentially no wear worth mentioning leather
  • parts are cheap, not a labour intensive vehicle
  • 10 months MOT (11.5 from original advert)
  • bought from someone selling for the right reasons (had about 7 other vehicles, no space, didn't need the money)
5 spare 15 spoke alloys, worth 150 each new, spare front bumper.

Does everything an automobile can be expected, not a penis extension or substitute for lack of personality / sex life / whatever, just get in, turn key, go.

Less than 500 quid.

I'd like to know what EXTRA you think you're getting for five times the money? The extra ECU that kills the car? The extra 500 quid wiring loom? The extra performance that you are never going to use (eg you are not going to burn me off on any journey longer than 5 miles and keep your licence)

take a look at picasa album in sig. Check it out.

Reasons for buying include...
  • inline fuel pump
  • no turbo, original 2 valve engine
  • plenty of frippery electrical stuff, but no digital electronic stuff
  • essentially no rust worth mentioning
  • essentially no wear worth mentioning leather
  • parts are cheap, not a labour intensive vehicle
  • 10 months MOT (11.5 from original advert)
  • bought from someone selling for the right reasons (had about 7 other vehicles, no space, didn't need the money)
5 spare 15 spoke alloys, worth 150 each new, spare front bumper.

Does everything an automobile can be expected, not a penis extension or substitute for lack of personality / sex life / whatever, just get in, turn key, go.

Less than 500 quid.

I'd like to know what EXTRA you think you're getting for five times the money? The extra ECU that kills the car? The extra 500 quid wiring loom? The extra performance that you are never going to use (eg you are not going to burn me off on any journey longer than 5 miles and keep your licence)

Wow, that's an early one!! Is the colour Thistle green per chance?

I thought all W124's came with a rev counter, suprised to see a clock in place of this.

Astonishingly good for the age though :).

Last edited:
Wow, that's an early one!! Is the colour Thistle green per chance?

I thought all W124's came with a rev counter, suprised to see a clock in place of this.

Astonishingly good for the age though :).

See album, has all that, paint code 877 blue green metallic paint

Forget the 4 Matic ; get a 300TE-24 valve : 231 bhp and just as reliable as the 12V 300TE - mine went on to 430K before it was written off in my driveway by a woman who came through my garden wall .

The ultimate W124 estate would be the AMG E36 ...... but you won't get one of those for two grand . You will find a 300TE-24 within budget without any difficulty and they tend to be well specced up , just be patient and the right one will come along .

avoid the 124 4matics. i understand that many of the parts are no longer available for those models??

I've got some 300TE 4MATIC front springs I've been trying to sell for ages!

Last edited:
avoid the 124 4matics. i understand that many of the parts are no longer available for those models??

Where did you hear that? I would be interested to know the source of your info? Mercedes tend to keep parts for their cars for a long time? :confused:

Don't get me wrong these models are complex with lots of things to go wrong unlike the current brake based 4matic system (as found in the M CLASS) and I wouldn't recommend them as the sole day to day vehicle for anyone. I was confused to a certain extent about the original posters interest?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom