• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 Quandry

You can still get parts for 4matic w124. Although the reputation of the model over here is not good, there are still plenty of 4matic on the road especially in Germany and Switzerland.

Where did you hear that? I would be interested to know the source of your info? Mercedes tend to keep parts for their cars for a long time? :confused:

Don't get me wrong these models are complex with lots of things to go wrong unlike the current brake based 4matic system (as found in the M CLASS) and I wouldn't recommend them as the sole day to day vehicle for anyone. I was confused to a certain extent about the original posters interest?

Basically, I'm after something tidier (cosmetically) that I can keep for a while, waxoyl etc with a few more toys and more power. The 4 matic grabbed my attention due to the nice spec of this example and the overall condition, low previous owner number.

It would not be an everyday vehicle, but would be used ultimately as a family vehicle.

If a nice 300TE-24 came up, I'd be more than happy with one of those, but it has to be in good, overall condition...

If you buy that one , when the 4 matic system goes wrong it will be expensive to fix ...

Notice i said ' when ' and not ' if ' .... ;)

However , if it does cark it , i believe you can lock the 4 matic system out and just drive it like a normal TE ...

Unless you specifically need/want the 4-matic system, I guess it'd be less potential trouble to go for one without.

I'd buy a car based upon condition though rather than limiting myself to a certain model - 300TE, 300TE-24, 280/320 etc all good cars with the bigger engines, and if you can find a perfectly maitained example you'll no doubt be pleased.

Obviously a mint '95/96 280/320 etc would be best, but I guess that's going to be a little more expensive though.

Will

My thoughts exactly. The Nikasil and Vanos issues are what worry me, though the Vanos looks easy enough to replace, it's still an added complication that sends me running to the relative safety of the 1980's (if you know what I mean :) ).

From march 98 on BMW switched to steel liners.The twin VANOS cars from sept 98 on are not affected.
I've had my E39 touring for 2 years now and paid £2500.
The only VANOS issues on non-M cars is the seals can wear.Takes a couple of hours to fit new ones although mine is still on the originals at 136K.
Rear air springs fail at around 105k.DIY replacements cost £125 each.
Rear tail gates can rust but the cars are far better corrosion wise than W124s. All suspension components and subframes are alloy so underneath the cars don't rust. Like Mercedes the exhausts are very long lived.
Come replacement I would probably get a V6 W211 estate which can be picked up cheaply now.

Be very wary of the 280/320 models with the HFM injected M104 .

Unless there is a receipt proving that the engine wiring loom has recently been replaced , haggle for the £400 or so off the price . They ALL fail sooner or later and can take even more costly ECU's and other components along with them - that's if they don't cause a fire in the engine bay or a crash !

Druk is the expert on here and has some nice pics of what goes wrong .

At the end of the day , when buying a car in this price range , it is a matter of what turns up in good condition and at the right price , never mind what model , colour or spec : find a good car and grab it with both hands .

Be very wary of the 280/320 models with the HFM injected M104 .

Unless there is a receipt proving that the engine wiring loom has recently been replaced , haggle for the £400 or so off the price . They ALL fail sooner or later

Treat it as a running cost, like tyres. Budget for it

To my mind a late 280/320 is a better car than a 300-24 and the fact that it is 4-5 years newer swings it for me

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom