• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W169 A Class Diesel with OM642 engine

wolfram

Car
A Class W169
Hi I'm contemplating buying one of these cars for my daughter as her first car. It is a 2010 and has 55,000 miles on it and a clean MOT history. However, it has lived in Croydon all its life and done very few miles per year. I'm worried that the DPF will be clogged up by stop start driving. Should I be worried?

I wouldn't be worried if there's no faults on the dash. I would take it for a good test journey and make sure everything gets upto temp.

sorry, I got that from some forum or other - its the OM640

OM642 200BHP++ V6 in an A class. First car? Wow!

OM640, phew, that's more appropriate.

Will she be able to support a Merc as a first car? Honda, Toyota petrol etc much easier to live with on a budget.

My wife had a 2011 W169 A180 diesel, 10 years later , 94,000 miles and apart from regular servicing , discs and pads ,tyres and one new battery all went well apart from one small vacuum switch which cost £45. Built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

That's a shame, I thought you'd found a one off A class with an OM642 in it! I mean my OM642 in my w203 ( when it works and is not in limp mode or loosing boost) is pretty rapid, stick that in an A class, that would be the ultimate sleeper! :D

OM642 200BHP++ V6 in an A class. First car? Wow!

OM640, phew, that's more appropriate.

Will she be able to support a Merc as a first car? Honda, Toyota petrol etc much easier to live with on a budget.
She did auto only test in my prius. Looked at mini's and fiat 500s. I was skeptical as their reputation precedes them. I would have liked her to buy a toyota auris hybrid but she refused due to aesthetics. I managed to steer her toward the merc, all similar money second hand, but feel the build quality will be better with the a class. Might be wrong! Never had a merc myself but see plenty of old ones still on the road. what will make running costs high? is it servicing costs? parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom