W202 Rust...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Feeble

Car
C43 AMG
My C43 has a fair amount of hidden rust (No surprises) and I'm trying to work out the best route to take with sorting it out.

The body shop I use is really, really good and they've already sorted out the front and rear arches.

I've taken the car back to them this week to look at getting the outer sills done, any patches required on the inner sills, at least one jacking point (worth doing them all while it's with them?) and a nasty hole on the back panel near the battery/towing eye.

I've got to source the parts myself, sills being the easiest part to find, and jacking points are available from MB still, I am led to believe thanks to a few helpful members on here!

A2026400071 seems to be the part number for the repair panel at the back, but I only need the drivers side of this large panel. I can't really even find this part in the UK, and imagine it would be expensive if I did.

Do you guys think that I am better off sourcing all the parts individually, perhaps getting that repair panel cut out of a rust free model at a scrap yard, or..... Finding a cheap, rust free early W202 and giving it to the body shop to take what's needed and scrap the rest? Are the panels I need exactly the same on the early models and the facelift ones?

It's a lot to think about, but once it's done, hopefully that'll be that and I can enjoy my first rust free Mercedes! :D

I'd use pattern sills (like Andy did) due to the OEM cost.
For the back panel, mine might be OK, or the shop might be able to let in a patch, if localised.
I doubt that a body shop will want to do that with two cars, space is money!
The panels are the same, bar the sills which have extra holes for the plastic sill cover clips.

Thanks Andy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your boot is the same! :)

You are less likely to find a rust free W202, they all rust in same places sadly

I would be inclined to take it to a professional welder fabricator

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom