W202 - Strange transmission noise like whale song!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had that on my w202 up till few days ago. Took it to garage and changed transmission fluid and filter but still had the noise after. My mechanic went on to spray all the driveshaft links with lubricant spray and the noise went after that. Think there's around 4 links so to give them all a good spray and happy days. Hope this helps

spray all the driveshaft links with lubricant spray and the noise went after that. Think there's around 4 links

I'm so happy you got yours sorted - I'll give that a go - presumably you're talking about the exposed CV links on the propshaft itself?

I Iope you will get to the bottom of the whale song noise and report back with your findings.

Thanks @wongl for helping a brother out by reading the thread - fingers crossed

I'm so happy you got yours sorted - I'll give that a go - presumably you're talking about the exposed CV links on the propshaft itself?

Thanks @wongl for helping a brother out by reading the thread - fingers crossed
I hope the same treatment will resolve your whale song noise on your W202.

I hope the same treatment will resolve your whale song noise on your W202.
I was getting noise from underneath my car at the same speeds you mention. It turned out after having some work done it was a re fixed under tray was touching my exhaust. We discovered this by me revving to level where sound occurred with mechanic underneath ramp.

I know this is an old thread ... but my 1997 C180 Auto is making exactly the same noise as can be heard in thephatmaster's YouTube vid. Does anyone have a definitive solution for this problem by any chance? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom