• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W203 C220 CDI (OM646) help, cold start problem/poor fuel economy

vealige

Car
Apologies in advance for the length of this but thought it best to explain what has been "tried" ....

Friends 2005 C220CDI OM646 with the euro 4 DPF, mileage approx. 157k

They have had the car for a couple of years and in that time things have got progressively worse when they have tried to fix the problems. The car initially had leaking injectors seals. When this was repaired they replaced number 2 and 3 injector with 2nd hand ones but never had them coded to the car. They actually worked fine but the fuel economy was never what I would consider normal for a diesel only really averaging around 35-38 mpg doing mixed driving. They decided to get it remapped and at the same time have a DPF solution done from what I understand both the CAT and the DPF have had their innards smashed out so are somewhat free flowing and the original cans all re-installed back on the car so everything looks original for MOT etc... Anyway remap was completed by a reputable tuner and to be fair mpg seemed to improve to around 41 mpg average.

Sadly the injector seals appeared to have failed on two of the injectors which were replaced (approx. 20k miles later) at this point the injectors were removed and took the opportunity to have the injector tips dismantled and cleaned in a hydro-sonic tank to refurbish them. They have since been re-installed and appropriately coded to the ECU (previously two of them were not)

Since then there have been a number of issues...... The car is now difficult to start when cold can take a couple of cranks to fire into life and when it does it almost feels completely gutless and sometimes doesn't want to rev. After a couple of minutes at most it is fine. The other noticeable issue is the fuel consumption has taken a dive it is probably at best doing 30-34 mpg. They asked me what I thought having had a few Mercs over the years but to be honest I said I have no idea and at a guess it could be the injectors or the remap as since the injectors have now been coded to the ECU I was not sure if that would change things given the remap was done when two of the injectors were not coded to the car??

Oh he has removed the MAF and cleaned it with brake cleaner and re-installed and that didn't seem to do anything.

I did say I would post on here in the hope that someone with a bit more diesel savvy would point him in the right direction. He has done a leak down test this was a timed 3 minute run with the bottle on the left being injector 1 (front of engine) and the rest following that consecutive order. As previously mentioned injector 2 and 3 were 2nd hand but clearly are leaking off less. Does it look like the injectors are the issue. I could also see and he reported smelling some diesel fumes in the car I can see where the DPF and CAT join is the tell tale black smoke marks so it looks like it is leaking at that join and will need re-sealing. No evidence of injectors leaking and he said that the thicker Honda copper seals were used when the injectors were put back in. Picture shows the diesel leak off test if that is helpful.

20220703_142848.jpg

Any thoughts greatly appreciated there are absolutely no codes or error lights when the car is connected to a OBD reader.

Does he need properly refurbished injectors and possibly another remap afterwards is ultimately what is being asked or could it be something else??

Last edited:
Leak limit is 20ml/min, and under 25% difference. Was measurement done by cold (starting trouble) engine?

There is always possibility remapping is not good and car tries to regenrate DPF continuosly. That should be confirmed.

Then 2nd smokey culprit is boos problems, which also can detoriate mpg. Check leaks/slpilt of turbo hoses.

Is EGR still functional or also remapped off?

To me that looks like v excessive leak off,
that would account for poor starting as the fuel rail struggles to get up to threshold pressure.

Injectors need coding to the ECU.
Then there are 2 methods of zero calibration, that needs Star.
Until that's done the car isn't likely to run smoothly and consumption will likely be a fair bit higher.

I guess you've now to do a cost feasibility on new / refurbished injectors.
Followed by a significant Star session.

Leak limit is 20ml/min, and under 25% difference. Was measurement done by cold (starting trouble) engine?

There is always possibility remapping is not good and car tries to regenrate DPF continuosly. That should be confirmed.

Then 2nd smokey culprit is boos problems, which also can detoriate mpg. Check leaks/slpilt of turbo hoses.

Is EGR still functional or also remapped off?
It was measured on cold apparently. But also have measured when up to temperature and it was basically the same in terms of leak off amounts.

The DPF sensor is unplugged at the sensors as well as the EGR so assumption is they are totally mapped out as there are no warning lights and nothing shows up when you read codes.

Thanks for the split hose suggestion definitely worth a look.

To me that looks like v excessive leak off,
that would account for poor starting as the fuel rail struggles to get up to threshold pressure.

Injectors need coding to the ECU.
Then there are 2 methods of zero calibration, that needs Star.
Until that's done the car isn't likely to run smoothly and consumption will likely be a fair bit higher.

I guess you've now to do a cost feasibility on new / refurbished injectors.
Followed by a significant Star session.
Yeah the injectors are now coded to the ECU it was done via a SNAP-ON code reader but no zero calibration done to my knowledge particularly if that can only be done by STAR.

That is really useful to know in terms of the zero calibration via STAR. I thought it may end up down the road of refurbished injectors and from browsing they don't seem ridiculously expensive vs others but it is still a decent chunk of money to throw at an older car that has otherwise given them many years of trouble free motoring.

Mind you in the current climate of the overpriced 2nd hand car market it may be still be cheaper to repair!

Just thought I would update this thread for anyone wondering what fixed this issues. Friend purchased refurbished injectors from ebay via dieselfixneuss in germany very reasonably priced from what I understand.

Once coded and fitted to the car it has cured the above.

On the same journey it was doing 30-34mpg it is now returning 52mpg+

Long term average of mixed driving is now in the region of 48mpg over a few tanks.

Thank you for the advice injectors were the problem and the remap didn't need adjusting.

Here's to another 157k miles they hope!

Just thought I would update this thread for anyone wondering what fixed this issues. Friend purchased refurbished injectors from ebay via dieselfixneuss in germany very reasonably priced from what I understand.

Once coded and fitted to the car it has cured the above.

On the same journey it was doing 30-34mpg it is now returning 52mpg+

Long term average of mixed driving is now in the region of 48mpg over a few tanks.

Thank you for the advice injectors were the problem and the remap didn't need adjusting.

Here's to another 157k miles they hope!
hi mine has exact same problems going to get new injectors for my 646 engine who may i ask recoded ur new injectors im in cornwall to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom