W203 Folding Mirrors - All Noise, No Action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregE240

Car
1990 500SL
Evening all,

Wednesday this week was a momentous occasion- my lad bought his first Mercedes- a late 2005 C180K Classic. Yes, I’m biased, but it’s in really good nick, bar one or two niggly faults. It has electric mirrors which also fold, except they don’t. When you press the fold button, or unfold, you can hear both motors, but sadly, no action. I’ve had a look at them and the cog gears inside look sound, maybe a little rust on the shafts so I’ve chucked some penetrating oil on them, but that’s all I can see. Has anyone any advice on next steps? It’s a facelift model. I’ve got the Torx bits to take the mirror off if needed.

Many thanks,
Greg

1. Check the wiring loom going though the pillar and into the back of the mirror... the wires tend to break in which case they will need soldering.

3. Your C180K is equipped with the M271 engine.... Google "M271 timing gear failure", and consider replacing the timing gear pre-emptively, i.e. before it fails... unless it has already been replaced.

Hi Mark, thanks for the swift reply. As I said, you can hear both motors, but the cog mechanism doesn’t move. I suspect it might be seized both sides?

Hi Mark, thanks for the swift reply. As I said, you can hear both motors, but the cog mechanism doesn’t move. I suspect it might be seized both sides?
Like markjay says, don't worry too much about the mirrors Check your cam chain. Now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom