W203 track car build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

docklander

Car
W203 C200k
Obviously a 1400kg, auto saloon with under 200bhp would not be mine (or anyones!) first choice for track car but my eldest of three boys (19)only drives auto. So my check list was:

auto
RWD
Safe
cheap

The hit list included Merc, BM, Lexus, etc. Then, I stumbled across this beauty on ebay:

mecr.jpg

It had been sold and both times the muppets messed the seller around. Their loss will, hopefully, be my gain.

The good news is that it was cheap as the cat had been stolen. The seller had it for 16 years, 73000 miles and mot for 11 months. How much did I get it for? Lets just say that a decent set of tyres would cost more...

I got it recovered to my regular garage in Enfield with a view to get a cheap cat fitted and it looked over. 3 delivered cats later and we still couldn't get one to fit. It seems that when they nicked the cat, they didn't carefully unbolt it (I know right?!) and hacked away other bits of the exhaust. But how desperate are some people? A new cat is around £150. Why risk being banged up for that? Anyway...

Plan b was to take to my exhaust dude in Essex. I figure without the cat it will make more power but didn't want to faff about with a remap. Even paying it for now to be moved to Essex from Enfield and having the remap was only slightly more then getting the cat replaced. I should have taken it straight to the exhaust dude and for once being sensible actually cost a little more money!

Due to collect the beast on Tuesday when I will also see it for the first time. Future plans are:

remap - may be essential if misfires due to cat removal
lowering springs - most likely cheap ebay jobbies
pads and discs - subject to their current condition
weight reduction - focusing on keeping it useable, so probably remove sound deadening and air con (not sure how the belts work on these or if they did a C200 without a/c?)

I am keen to see how well I can get her to handle. I have been racing for around 10 years now, so hopefully can use that experience to get the old girl handling well enough.

Welcome.

Looks like you've bagged a good deal there.

Is it the C200 Kompressor? With the 1.8L Supercharged M271 petrol engine?

Looks like its the 2.0, M111 engine.

Weight - whats the difference between:

Revenue weight - 1970 kg gross and;
Mass in service - 1520

??

Ok gang, ANGLE SENSOR SLIP RING - do I need it? What happens if I just take it out??

I have fitted a new steering wheel hub/boss and just waiting for my new steering wheel to turn up. Now having a mild panic attack that I actually need the slip ring!

The work continues and so does the arrival of ebay and Amazon purchases:

1 x steering wheel hub purchased
1 x embarrassingly cheap steering wheel purchased
2 x Cobra seats purchased
2 x heavy duty seat runners purchased
1 x cheap coilover kit purchased
1 x new intercooler purchased
4 x 50x25x3mm steel bars purchased

I stripped down the Merc's standard seats, separated the seat base and will be welding the seat runners to the bars to the OE seatbases. This should allow the seats to be adjusted.

The suspension kit should be fitted this week and hopefully ill get the car back to fit the seats this weekend.

After the seats, I will further reduce the weight as much as poss, try and fit the intercooler myself, sort the seatbelt vs harness question and then it should be finished-ish..

Sort yourself out with two camber/caster adjustable bolt kits for the front end. Set out the camber arms to give maximum negative camber and the caster arms to give as much caster as you can get. It will improve the car on track. The negative camber will save the tyres from rolling on to the outside edge in the corners. The caster will help with steering self centering, and a novice will find the car's natural tendency to correct itself in oversteer situations is enhanced. Set up the rear toe to 1mm toe in each side and the front to 1mm toe out each side. You can do this with fishing line and a decent steel rule. Some simple chassis tweaks like this will make such a difference you will be astonished.

1000 kilos is the dream. Whilst the old seats did weigh a ton, I am using pretty hefty runners and steel bars on the new seats so it will be very interesting to see how much we save.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom