W205 C Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cromises

Car
Ford Mondeo
Hi all!

Looking at treating myself to a 3 pointed star when this Coronavirus madness is over with

As the title suggests I am after a W205 C class and I have a couple of questions:

Common faults - apologies in advance if this has been posted before but any major common faults on these?

C220 or C250 cdi - I have read a couple of posts that the C250 is essentially the C220 running a different map. Is this true and what power gains could you get from Remapping a C220 compared to a C250?

Many thanks in advance for your Replies

I bought a new one in July 2015...is a premium plus estate with airmatic suspension and privacy glass...only problems I've were the stitching gave way on the drivers seat and one of the exterior door handle lights failed...both out of warranty...fixed by my dealer under goodwill with a small contribution from me....Its now done 23700 miles...I replaced the tyres at 24k...so far so good....love the car...I would suggest going for an estate as they look better than the saloon in my opinion....The DAB radio reception is pretty poor...and the stop start has a mind of its own....Good luck in your search...be Lucky and stay safe!

I bought a new one in July 2015...is a premium plus estate with airmatic suspension and privacy glass...only problems I've were the stitching gave way on the drivers seat and one of the exterior door handle lights failed...both out of warranty...fixed by my dealer under goodwill with a small contribution from me....Its now done 23700 miles...I replaced the tyres at 24k...so far so good....love the car...I would suggest going for an estate as they look better than the saloon in my opinion....The DAB radio reception is pretty poor...and the stop start has a mind of its own....Good luck in your search...be Lucky and stay safe!

Cheers for the reply
Is yours a manual or auto and what engine is it? I found one a 220 Sport auto in Inverness with 42k on it for £13500

Its a 7 speed 220d auto...just remembered I opted for non gloss black trim as the plastic picks up all the finger marks and scratches easily...that's a good price...we buy any car still value mine at £16800...
Don't buy a manual one...harder to sell on and not a pleasant drive...I've got paddles and you can drive it like a manual...but auto with kickdown is pretty rapid...I can opt for eco..comfort...sport or track mode...sport mode is fun...with the airmatic it lowers and stiffens the suspension

Had our 2016 7sp Auto, C250d Estate three-years. Bought it approved used 6-months old and 8k miles. It now has 41k miles. Not many problems; Auxiliary battery failed and was replaced under warranty, driver's door handle LED sometimes doesn't work, one of the lower control arms was replaced under warranty, rear brake pads replaced last service. Gets through rear tyres in about 12k miles.

I've never been a fan of the 19" rims shown in my avatar from a ride quality viewpoint, though they look great. Changed them for 18" five-spoke 10-days ago, so the 19's will be for sale when we get through this current lockdown period.

Overall it's a great car, I've no idea what I'd replace it with.

I have read a couple of posts that the C250 is essentially the C220 running a different map. Is this true and what power gains could you get from Remapping a C220 compared to a C250?

I don't think so, I believe the injectors and turbos are not the same?

Also don't buy a red one...paint defect...it blisters...and Mercedes are respraying...tons of complaints

Also don't buy a red one...paint defect...it blisters...and Mercedes are respraying...tons of complaints
Not a problem for the W205.

The problems you're talking about apply to Fire Opal Red, been there, done that. But it was on a C204.

The only Red offered on the W205 is Designo Hyacinth Red Metallic. Different paint and I've seen no reports of paint issues with this colour. Believe me I've looked.

Last edited:
So the 250 has different injectors amd turbo to the 220? Anyone got any experience remapping either of the 2 mentioned models?

No dramas thee as I've had dramas in the past with red paint fading on my old corsa so I'd like to avoid it in future

No dramas there as I've had dramas in the past with red paint fading on my old corsa so I'd like to avoid it in future
There's quite a difference in paint technology between what MB are using for their modern paints and the stuff that was being used on your old Corsa. And, the problem with Fire Opal Red was micro blistering in the clear coat, not fading.

FWIW, I quite fancied the Brilliant Blue or Selenite Grey. Our daughter/son-in-law beat us to it on Selenite Grey and the red one we ended up with was pretty well mint and immediately available.

BTW If you do end up with one with the piano black centre console; if it gets scratched, from what I've seen it's not too difficult to wrap it in carbon film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom