• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W208 55 Convertible

Mmmmmmmmm. Silly pricing but highly desirable.

Edit: just checked the vin and it’s showing as a 430 and doesn’t have the same codes on the datacard the last one I found, had which said CLK 55!!!! Suspicious. Very nicely specified but far too highly priced for what is probably just a very nice 430 convertible.

Funny ole write up too. “Shipped over to AMG to be modified, as that is how they built them “ ????.
A nice car even if it is “only“ a 430, but a lot of money.

Funny ole write up too. “Shipped over to AMG to be modified, as that is how they built them “ ????.
A nice car even if it is “only“ a 430, but a lot of money.

I thought they only did that to the W202 C36?

Mmmmmmmmm. Silly pricing but highly desirable.

Edit: just checked the vin and it’s showing as a 430 and doesn’t have the same codes on the datacard the last one I found, had which said CLK 55!!!! Suspicious. Very nicely specified but far too highly priced for what is probably just a very nice 430 convertible.
I’m sure they all came up as 430s on the datacard, as there was no official 208 55 cabriolet - it was a special order AFAIK.

I remember all the ones I have seen, have a different airbag to the regular AMG models too - no idea why they didn’t fit the AMG airbag along with the other bits.

I think Nick Mercedes had one back in the day for breaking, they really are quite a rare car.

Personally I think that’s worth £20k +/-, the mileage, spec and condition are surely unrepeatable? :cool:

The clk55 vert was available officially in LHD format only.

The rhd was AMG "Studio" only apparently with no recorded numbers of how many were built.

Even the 208 ‘55 coupe was quite a rare car - due to the price, I think only around 200ish were sold in the whole of the UK over the years, they were circa £60k ish 20 years back.

I’m sure the ‘55 cabriolet would have been quite a lot more expensive - a historical thread on here mentions one @ £92k back in the day from MB Greenoaks - SL55 sort of money, you can see why they were quite a niche model and not many were sold :)

I quite like those. If only I had fewer cars, I would but one but I'm trying to be good

Personally I think that’s worth £20k +/-, the mileage, spec and condition are surely unrepeatable? :cool:

To a like minded buyer who appreciates it, I completely agree with you @Will. I would imagine given it provenance it is accurate in the description also.

Give it a few years when it has doubled in value and we can have another thread about how we all wish we had bought it :p

Checks out with my sources. It left the factory with an m113984 which is a 5.4 litre. The 430 has m113943. I say real.

The last one I saw for sale was in 2011/2 I think, and it was almost definitely £8995 at Targa Florio Cars, but I’m unsure of the mileage. I reckon appreciation would have offset running costs.

They were all registered as 430s I believe.

I test drove one at Imperials in Essex about 11/12 years ago which was up at £16995. Iirc it had a missing or incomplete history.

However, by the time we got back to the lot someone else had paid full asking !

2004 model here for far less.

O.K. it's the coupé!
Coupé, four times the mileage - oh and a totally different car :D

One of the things about the 208 ‘55 cabriolet is the rarity/exclusivity factor - by comparison there’s loads of 209 cabriolets :)

I believe there are only 2 registered with the owners club currently

I'm just not seeing what you guys are seeing, all I see is a W208 convertible.
It won’t be for everyone. I’m a long-term CLK430 cabrio owner, so it appeals to me. I won’t be alone, but sure, it’s a niche market. V8 niche though, so makes all the right noises ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom