• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W209 CLK 240 - Auxiliary belt change

rich1068

Car
Many Saabs and an '03 CLK 240
On a rainy evening a few years ago, driving north on a busy M1, the auxiliary/serpentine belt on my Saab 9-3 let go. I was on a section of not so "smart" motorway and it was quite terrifying. Because of this experience I tend to replace the belt as a matter of course on whichever clunker I'm currently enjoying. So, on my W209 it looks to be possibly the easiest change I've ever done but should I change the pulley, tensioner or both at the same time? I'm not getting any odd noises, squealing or slipping. What's the recommended course of action?

Just change everything and use decent quality parts. I did mine last year, think I used SKF stuff. I did the water pump genuine MB and alternator clutch pulley at the same time so will not be going back there anytime soon.

Thanks for that.

Not sure I'll go that far but I've seen the Gates and SKF kits for a good price. They include belt, pulley and tensioner for about £120. Out of interest I got a price for genuine. £352 :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom