• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W210 1996 E280 Elegance jammed steering lock

GWU

Car
Mercedes W210 E280 Elegance
Hi,
I am having problem with a jammed steering lock on my old W210.
The problem started when the key wouldn't turn to position one. After a few wiggles of the steering wheel, I could turned the key and even started the engine but the steering lock remained in lock position.
Having done a the research on youtube and various forums, I managed to take the whole ignition assemble and the key cylinder out. The key cylinder seems to be fine and just needs a bit of cleaning and lubrication. I noticed that there is a steering lock cable connected to the ignition unit. My question if the steering lock menchanism is electric or mechanical? If it is electric, the cause of the jam could be a dirty contact point between the ignition unit and the pin of the steering lock cable. Any help from someone who knows about the W210's ignition/steering lock machanisam would be much appreciated. As seen in photo, one side of the plastic ignition casing was damaged all thanks to the AA man who tried to release the steering lock with his hammer.
2022-10-04 16.24.33.jpg

2022-10-04 17.00.22s.jpg

I hope someone solved this for you or directed you to earlier posts. Your AA man messed this up, it seems. If you need futher info. please PM me with an email address where I can send to you a zipped archive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom