W211, 2003 -Android Radio install gone wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrMercules

Car
e320 CDI W211 2003, and SLK
Hi folks,

Background first:
E320 CDI, W211 2003 with the walnut trim interior. Had old headunit with CD (and cd multichanger) car previously had the version that took the viseeo bluetooth adaptor...Right hand drive model (UK/)

Ordered this radio:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BFVVJNG/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

The good:
Managed to remove the old radio and get the new one in situ, screwed in and lock engaged, working beautifully from an electronic point of view good sound etc - haven't installed the reversing camera yet....was going to ask a garage to run those wires for me when they had time...

The problem:
Having confirmed everything was working electronically I tried to put the CD changer back in....it will no longer fit, this in turn is preventing me putting the cigarette lighter tray back in....I'd guessed it was to do with the wires at the back and have jiggled things around a bit - still no joy. the radio sits in perfectly but the CD multichanger (which I understand won't work but I need to go back in for the hazard warning lights etc on it will not fit in. It gets most of the way back.

I've tried jiggling the wires around at the back and trying to force them between the radio and the lining behind the radio....it won't fit into the gap entirely so a bit of the bulky hard plastic connector is coming down a bit into the space behind the CD changer...

Any tips? am I missing something? I'm at wits end despite having 90% finished the job!

All tips much appreciated - thank you!

Can anyone offer any wisdom? am effectively now paying my way out of the problem bu t will take a week before they can book the car in....seems a shame to be so very close to having done it myself yet still defeated just because I cannot get the CD changer to fit back in...

you can remove the CD changer from the facia. IIRC only two screws need to be removed from the bottom, metal clip taken out and it'll slide out.

Will go down and give that a shot, so basically only the front part of it will need to be inserted hence more space? No point having the CD multichanger part anyway as it won't work with the new unit and suspect that would fix all the space problems provided it'll still stay in place?

Thanks for getting back to me Donshl :)

No worries mate,

It’s actually sort of a tray... but you’ll figure it out :)

Ok so I managed to remove the CD multichanger...the panel covering it moved as I released it but seems to have locked itself shut again and the button isn't working - shame as it might have converted into some quite welcome hidden storage space....

Unfortunately I still cannot manage to get the bit which formally contained to CD changer to slide completely back into place, it goes 95% of the way there then won't go the last bit....

:-/ I also cannot get the ash tray component to fit in underneath it as I cannot get this bit in...I tried connecting the ashtray first - it slots in fine but when I do that the little white rollers on the bottom of the former CD multichanger unit with the hazard warning lights won't pass the ashtray....so guessing this part needs to go in first.

All advice gratefully received!

Try pulling the radio out and tucking the wiring block behind it as you slide it back.

Or try moving the block to one side then slide the radio back in.

It is a pain when adding not OEM radios etc as they come with their own section of loom that makes things a bit tighter.

Managed to get it back in! PHEW! :-D

I think things were a bit tighter the winning solution was actually using the screws that secured the section with the CD changer in it to pull it back into alignment -I had been trying to push it into place before tightening the screws rather than using the screws to pull it back...this seems to have worked. (although I took the changer out of it in the hope of using the space in there as storage space....although my new problem is that, although the hazards and buttons are working the silver button to open the little hatch that covered the CD player isn't working anymore...) *sighs* I only connected the wire for the buttons at the front so perhaps it needs the optic cable but I doubt it??

I've got a similar unit in my CLK installed by the previous owner. For some reason I get no sort of radio reception at all - it sounds like the aerial is not plugged in. Before I start ripping things out does anyone know of anything I can do to get radio reception, for example is there a setting somewhere to get it working?

I installed one in a B class and it required a 12v feed from the unit to the aerial adapter to provide power for an aerial amp.
Could yours be similar?

I installed one in a B class and it required a 12v feed from the unit to the aerial adapter to provide power for an aerial amp.
Could yours be similar?
Hi AltonAnt, don't know really. Just been out fiddling with it to see if it is a settings problem but seems not. It seems I'm going to need to strip it out and have a look :eek::eek::eek::oops:

Managed to get it back in! PHEW! :-D

I think things were a bit tighter the winning solution was actually using the screws that secured the section with the CD changer in it to pull it back into alignment -I had been trying to push it into place before tightening the screws rather than using the screws to pull it back...this seems to have worked. (although I took the changer out of it in the hope of using the space in there as storage space....although my new problem is that, although the hazards and buttons are working the silver button to open the little hatch that covered the CD player isn't working anymore...) *sighs* I only connected the wire for the buttons at the front so perhaps it needs the optic cable but I doubt it??

I believe that the CD changer cover will not open now you have removed the changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom