W212 Audio 20 upgrade advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markdt

Car
2010 e-class w212 cdi sport
So first of all, I'm only new so if I say something stupid forgive me šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

My first Merc E-Class 2010 W212 CDI sport.

It has a audio 20 in it with what I can only guess is a NTG 4.0. It has Bluetooth for the phone but not for music so looking to upgrade. I have seen big screens that can introduce android.

Basically what I'm wondering is, is it actually as simple as changing the screen to get an android system? Also seen COMAND units cheap(er) but do I have to change the screen to suit the COMAND and visa versa too?

Any advice would be great so I don't waste my money šŸ˜‚ thanks in advance šŸ‘

Mark.

Welcome.

Yes you will need to change the screen as Comand uses a larger screen. Comand in your car will support music streaming.

Android is something with split opinions. I wouldnā€™t touch it as they are cheap, nasty and often donā€™t fulfill their promise. Iā€™ve removed dozens for customers who hated them. There are though some people who love them.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me šŸ‘ I was interested in going with the COMAND over the android to be honest I'd rather keep it as OEM as possible. I'll have to keep up a bit more research to find out which one I want.

If you have any suggestions I'm open.

The newer Android systems are a replacement screen which keeps all of the OEM interface as well. Its nothing like the old systems that people were divisive about, the world has moved on.

You can have a smaller version which sits in the same place as the OEM screen, or a 10.25" screen which gives a much better experience.

These are half the price of Comand upgrades and give much more functionality. They can be self installed and there is a huge community on one of the US forums to support people. Mine has been in getting on for 3 years now.

This is the type of android I have been looking at. Easy enough to install yourself but can you still you the dial in the centre console to control it?

Is there much messing around with the wiring I wonder, I wouldn't be great the the electrics šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200518_115005_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200518_115005_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 4
I went for the original look and feel and had my Audio 20 replaced by COMAND NTG4.7.

The work was carried-out by www.comandonline.co.uk who did a first class job - I can't recommend them enough.

That said, I can see why some will be reluctant to go down that route. Firstly, the original MB equipment (be it COMAND, the rear-view camera, etc) is high-quality kit and and MB-branded, so obviously not cheap. Then, automotive systems tend to go through a lengthy internal testing and approval process, using tried-and-tested technologies, compared to high-tech companies who rush to market with half-baked products in order to be able to offer cutting-edge technology at the expense of reliability. Which means that by the time a car manufacturer releases a new infotainment system, it is likely to be based on technology that in the electric equipment shops is already considered obsolete. Let alone when considering an older model... NTG4.7 is the third generation of the NTG4.5, which was first seen in late 2010 (on MY 2011 cars), so would have been in development since around roughly early 2008. Just to give an idea of time line, there were no smartphones then... the first smartphone (iPhone 3) was released later in the same year.

Personally, as a Merc enthusiast, I wouldn't fit a non-original infotainment system, but I can see why some would. No doubt the extra functionality and flexibility offered by a an Android unit will sway many owners to move away from COMAND.

I also believe that in future car manufacturers will give-up on developing propriety infotainment systems, which broadly duplicate your smartphone functionality. I think that eventually cars will simply have a touchscreen unit with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto / MirroLink functionality (in addition to the car management system controlling various features such as the suspension settings etc etc).

Hi Markdt,

Did you ever upgrade your kit, if so was it easy and what did you go for, im in exactly the same postion as you.

Many Thanks
James

Not en expert on the W212 audio stuff but if you are only after bluetooth audio streaming, it should be possible to have the Audio 20 head unit updated and configured to support music streaming too. An expert on the topic says the headunit sometimes needs a SW update, then activation via the engineering menu (that may also need to be activated first).

Can anyone confirm this? I have the same in my W207 coupe (2012) and really only want to add BT music streaming

Can anyone confirm this? I have the same in my W207 coupe (2012) and really only want to add BT music streaming

It varies from one model to another.

The C207 (E-Class Coupe) is based on the W204 (C-Class Saloon) so it's a different car to the OP's W212 (E-Class Saloon).

Talk to www.comandonline.co.uk, if you give them the VIN they'll know what can be done for your car.

I was looking at this a while back and in the end bought a Tunai Firefly Bluetooth thingy. Was about Ā£30 and it lives in the glovebox and is plugged into the power socket and the rca/aux socket (in the glovebox). I then listen to Spotify etc through it. Works faultlessly and turns on and off automatically. The only downside is you have to control playlists etc through the phone. But for a cheap solution it works well. Mines a 2011 S212 so has Bluetooth but not music streaming. Thereā€™s a few other threads on this and I think the consensus is/was that music streaming isnā€™t possible Even going into the engineering menu etc.

I did. They offered me a Ā£1500 upgradeā€¦

To do what.... just to add Bluetooth streaming? Or a complete new infotainment system? What did you ask them exactly?

Iā€™ve upgraded audio systems in plenty of previous vehicles, so no need for the ā€œsimpletonā€ tone.

I asked:
Just wondering what my options might be to get some sort of
smart phone connectivity (it has Bluetooth calling, but thatā€™s it).

The response was a full upgrade to Comand at a cost of Ā£1600.

Iā€™ve upgraded audio systems in plenty of previous vehicles, so no need for the ā€œsimpletonā€ tone.

I asked:
Just wondering what my options might be to get some sort of
smart phone connectivity (it has Bluetooth calling, but thatā€™s it).

The response was a full upgrade to Comand at a cost of Ā£1600.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

In this case I would recommend a Parrot kit, e.g. MKi9200.

I need to upgrade my audio system as well but I wanna go all in and for that, I need some more money haha I guess need to upgrade my bitcoin poker game a lot... I fell into this hype again reading this post :cool:

I need to upgrade my audio system as well but I wanna go all in and for that, I need some more money haha I guess need to upgrade my bitcoin poker game a lot... I fell into this hype again reading this post :cool:

Is it not cheaper in Slovenia?

I know a Lithuanian guy and Bulgarian guy at my work who often get stuff done back home as it is a lot cheaper than the UK.

Bitcoin Poker Club....? :doh: That's like giving money away. Seriously, stay away from that website if you want to have any money left for audio upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom