W212 E63 ATF change interval with 7g+ transmission?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
I have read conflicting notes on exactly when the ATF is due to be changed on a W212 E63 with 7g+ transmission.
I've read, once at 75k miles and once at 31k miles /3 years.
Entering the car details into the Mercedes ESS, this is what is printed. The same info as the ESS is also printed in the service booklet, which is what I believe to be correct.

Service 20 - Once at 31,000 miles/3 years
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (With transmission 722.930/931/971) My transmission is 722.931.

The car is now approaching 6 yrs old and is reading 31400 miles. Checking the previous 5 services, the last being an A service before I picked it up last Sept, there is no mention of any ATF change having been done.

Am I correct in thinking I should have an ATF change along when the next B service is due in a couple of months time? I expect the mileage to be below 32k.

It also begs the question of why, with a full main dealer service history, carried out on schedule previously, has the ATF not be done at 3yrs?

Ess is correct, definitely have it carried out on your next service, hope you are in good health R.

Might be worth enquiring why it wasn’t done at 3 years when it was MB serviced ? They may do it for free ;)
They may, but they won't.

The dealer will do what people ask them too, so if the customers says "How blooming much? Why is it so expensive? That's ridiculous I don't need to have the transmission fluid changed I've only done 10,000 miles. Will I get the stamp without doing it? Good, leave it off and stamp the book".

It's entirely possible that the dealer missed it, or based it on the conflicting information. Three years is unusual for transmission service on a Mercedes and a service advisor or tech on auto-pilot could over look it.

Funny , I think my one is better looking though :p
Your hair is darker. You have much less of it though. That's evens in my book. Your lack of ears and nose is a problem if you wish to follow me into the world of modelling. Diversity is celebrated in fashion modelling but a complete lack of nose and ears might be a step to far for many of those who commission shoots.

It's entirely possible that the dealer missed it, or based it on the conflicting information. Three years is unusual for transmission service on a Mercedes and a service advisor or tech on auto-pilot could over look it.

I agree, but its there on the ESS in black and white.
It may also have been on a service plan and the dealer deliberately missed it. An unsuspecting owner would be none the wiser for it not being done.

Last edited:
Well it is a interesting point,quiet a few people will be looking at a E63 with a few years under it's bonnet,may well pay them to look at the service records with this ATF change in mind,at that point a MB dealer will throw that in to get a sale,as it should have been done.

Your hair is darker. You have much less of it though. That's evens in my book. Your lack of ears and nose is a problem if you wish to follow me into the world of modelling. Diversity is celebrated in fashion modelling but a complete lack of nose and ears might be a step to far for many of those who commission shoots.
You ,unlike me are also a lot more cleverer than you look buddy ;)

I would change it. I had a similar situation - many MBs used to be scheduled 'once at 3-years', that then changed to 'every 5-years' (or relevant mileage etc).

My car was serviced by the dealer and according to handbook mine fell into the 5-year ATF schedule. The car was covered by a service plan at the time and when 5-year service due they advised that they'd change the oil etc and check' (and make me a coffee), ie basically an A-service.
'And the transmission fluid' said I.
'No, not listed to be done. It's not necessary'.

Long discussion along lines of either it's due now or it should have been at year 3 and you didn't do it on year 3, in which case do it now please. After much toing & froing, 'okay, we'll do it for you Mr X'. My issue was that had my wife etc dropped the car off, it wouldn't have been done, yet it was clearly listed in the service reqts in the hand/service book. Not a happy bunny that day!

Lookers Gatwick did my ATF at 4 years as a goodwill 'gesture' after the crap they pulled....but if my experience with them is anything to go by, they were likely to have got that wrong too.
When Ollie at PCS checked out the car, he said it was sparks at 4 years and not ATF. Got him to do the sparks shortly after.

I've had a look but there doesn't appear to be anyone offering a full change / flush with one of these AFT full flush service machines here in the U.K
With the number of auto, dsg etc gearboxes now being produced and the challenges of 'old' fluid left in the system after a drain, these appear to be gaining traction as a way of fully changing the fluid rather than a 50-70% change,with a drain and fill.

I have read conflicting notes on exactly when the ATF is due to be changed on a W212 E63 with 7g+ transmission.
I've read, once at 75k miles and once at 31k miles /3 years.
Entering the car details into the Mercedes ESS, this is what is printed. The same info as the ESS is also printed in the service booklet, which is what I believe to be correct.

Service 20 - Once at 31,000 miles/3 years
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (With transmission 722.930/931/971) My transmission is 722.931.

The car is now approaching 6 yrs old and is reading 31400 miles. Checking the previous 5 services, the last being an A service before I picked it up last Sept, there is no mention of any ATF change having been done.

Am I correct in thinking I should have an ATF change along when the next B service is due in a couple of months time? I expect the mileage to be below 32k.

It also begs the question of why, with a full main dealer service history, carried out on schedule previously, has the ATF not be done at 3yrs?
When you say you have checked the previous services, are you working from just the online DSB or do you have all the receipts/service invoices etc as well?

Reason I ask is that it’s not uncommon for mistakes to be made with data entry in a busy dealership. Although the DSB is very useful it may have been carried out but not recorded or something.

MB will have access to stuff not included on the DSB - additional visits for repairs outside of the recorded services, warranty and recall work etc - could be worth asking first :thumb:

When you say you have checked the previous services, are you working from just the online DSB or do you have all the receipts/service invoices etc as well?

Reason I ask is that it’s not uncommon for mistakes to be made with data entry in a busy dealership. Although the DSB is very useful it may have been carried out but not recorded or something.

MB will have access to stuff not included on the DSB - additional visits for repairs outside of the recorded services, warranty and recall work etc - could be worth asking first :thumb:

I just got the online DSB printouts Will. No invoices or detailed work sheets, just a note of what was done. ie spark plugs changed, air filter changed.
I can also find the same info through the Mercedes Me app.

I will visit my local dealer and see if they can find out if an ATF change has been done at any point, but I don't hold out too much hope.
Thanks for the info:thumb:

Maybe see where the service was done for the year 3 (and plus or minus a year) - could contact that dealer(s) and see if they can shed any light? But AFAIK any of the other main dealers should be able to check if they wanted to.

I was lucky to get all the receipts for mine, as I queried something on the DSB that I wasn’t sure if it had been done, but was quickly checked electronically and confirmed and I also had the full invoice and receipt for the same in with the history.

Either way, your mileage is low - so no hassle either way, just get it done with the next service if it’s not been done already - but would be a bonus if it has been done previously :cool:

Thats the height of discrimination... and against a very specific segment of avatar society. Now you have hurt W1ghty's feelings. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom