• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W212 E63 Wheel Tracking Alignment

seech

Car
2012 E63 5.5TT Performance Pack Plus
Evening all,

A question regarding the toe setting on my E63 PPP, if someone wouldn’t mind helping.

There’s a vibration in the steering at 80/90mph. Just had both front and rear tyres replaced and wheels rebalanced and the issue is still there. The car pulls to the left a bit. Front tyres showed bad inner wear. I see from the forums that this is common with the standard settings.

Had the tracking checked today and the rears were toe in (I think 0.9) and the recommendation was 1.75 IIRC.

Previously, my 2010 C63 PPP wore the rears in 3500 miles and I believe this is down to the toe in.

My question is, am I best leaving the wheels at a lesser toe angle to increase tyre longevity? Or may this be the route cause of the steering vibration?

Many thanks

Front tyre wear on the inner edges is very common on many MB models. My last 211 wore through both front tyres in that fashion. The answer is to take the car to a place which has a Hunter alignment system and with staff who know what they're doing. My 211 required camber bolts to be fitted at the front in order to solve the problem, just adjusting the tracking may not be the answer. It's unlikely to be the cause of your steering vibration though.

As GordonTarling says, wheel alignment (with the possible exception of gross misalignment) isn't going to be the cause of steering vibration.

As you've changed all four tyres and had the wheels balanced and the problem that was there before is still there - unless the fitter's balancer is defective - you can almost certainly rule out tyres and wheel balance. I would start by giving each wheel a very thorough inspection for any flat spots or ovality, and then move on to checking suspension bushes for wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom