W212 Facelift Comand Firmware & Navigation Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ridahz

Car
E220 Night Edition
Hi Guys.

The other day I took my facelift W212 in for its first MOT and Sat Nav update as its 3 years old next month.

When I bought the car in October last year I asked if they would update the maps for when I collected it. Surprise surprise they did nothing and said it was up to date :rolleyes:

Having it done the other day they gave me a printout and I checked and the maps were 2017/2018 V8.0.

Now I'm not 100% but isn't V11.0 the latest for this system? And are they trying to fob me off with old software? They also said they update the Comand unit while they do the Map update but I'm unsure of this nor know how to check the Comand firmware?

If anyone could assist with these queries I'd love to know.

On the spec sheet it says...

531 - Comand APS NTG5/NTG5.5 whichever model it is I'm not sure!

I've had BMW's for the last 8 years so all this is kind of new to me lol.

Many thanks!

The W212 pre-facelift had COMAND NTG4, the post-facelift had NTG4.5/4.7, and the last year of the W212 facelift (2016) had NTG5*1, which is probably what your car has.

The latest maps version for NTG5*1 is 2019 V11.0.

Last edited:
The W212 pre-facelift had COMAND NTG4, the post-facelift had NTG4.5/4.7, and the last year of the W212 facelift (2016) had NTG5*1, which is probably what your car has.

The latest maps version for NTG5*1 is 2019 V11.0.

Thank you Markjay. My car is indeed a 2016 model so will be NTG5*1 so that's that cleared up.

Not impressed they put V8.0 2017/2018 maps on though:mad: must be done on purpose surely thinking I'd never follow it up!

Am I right in thinking also that even if they updated the Comand firmware Apple CarPlay still wouldn't be available? I've seen devices available that you can plug in the OBD port and it activates it or is that just a scam lol

Thanks for your info so far!

Not a scam. Worked on my audio 20 5*1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EBcg4einbDK37yv46

Nice Ted!!

Would you mind telling me the build date of your car? I believe this determines whether it’s able to be done or not due to the firmware. I would buy one of them but don’t fancy spending £40/50 for it not to work

Nice Ted!!

Would you mind telling me the build date of your car? I believe this determines whether it’s able to be done or not due to the firmware. I would buy one of them but don’t fancy spending £40/50 for it not to work

Not sure of the build date - registered October last year.

Do a search for vladimircdi - send your chassis number and he will confirm that it works with your car.
Note that it is locked to your chassis number and the mercedes database does not get updated so it can be overwritten if the audio 20 firmware is updated by the dealer, however I understand that it can be reloaded from the dongle if that happens.
Tbh, carplay is good, but not THAT good. Waze is great, google maps is stunning in satellite mode and Tidal streaming is excellent.

Not sure of the build date - registered October last year.

Do a search for vladimircdi - send your chassis number and he will confirm that it works with your car.
Note that it is locked to your chassis number and the mercedes database does not get updated so it can be overwritten if the audio 20 firmware is updated by the dealer, however I understand that it can be reloaded from the dongle if that happens.
Tbh, carplay is good, but not THAT good. Waze is great, google maps is stunning in satellite mode and Tidal streaming is excellent.

Cheers Ted.

Have found him on ebay so will send him a message although he says FW has to be up to date for it to work and I still have no idea how to access the engineering menu to find out if they actually did it :wallbash:

Seems like it will do the trick though if its up to date FW according to his listing. I'd love to be able to control my Spotify and use Google maps through it as I believe its far superior to Comand! :)

Reactions: Ted
Mine is one of the last 212’s available it’s an S212 E350 2016 with NTG 5.2

The maps were updated in June last year to V9.0

Robin

Mine is one of the last 212’s available it’s an S212 E350 2016 with NTG 5.2

The maps were updated in June last year to V9.0

Robin

Looks like I've been screwed over then with very old maps. Mercedes haven't heard the last of me that's for sure

Ridahz. You have NTG5*1 with COMAND (the full colour satnav system that does not use a SD card with maps on) which is option code 531.

a) We can officially add Car Play to it for you (but are near Heathrow, and you are in Manchester)
b) The latest maps are V11 - so very old maps have been installed.

They absolutely know they are installing old maps because the VeDOK system (where they get the pin code for the map for your car) offers them the latest map and they have to press an extra button to get the older ones. I suspect they don't have the install media because they are incompetent.

As long as car is under 3 years old the map pin can be generated free. I suggest you make sure the latest map PIN for V11 is generated whilst the car is under warranty (then it is stored on the VeDOK database) and you tell them to install the latest map. Or to buy the install USB from Comand Online and install it yourself - about and hour and a half max. - But get the PIN code before 3 years !!

Cheers

Richard

Ridahz. You have NTG5*1 with COMAND (the full colour satnav system that does not use a SD card with maps on) which is option code 531.

a) We can officially add Car Play to it for you (but are near Heathrow, and you are in Manchester)
b) The latest maps are V11 - so very old maps have been installed.

They absolutely know they are installing old maps because the VeDOK system (where they get the pin code for the map for your car) offers them the latest map and they have to press an extra button to get the older ones. I suspect they don't have the install media because they are incompetent.

As long as car is under 3 years old the map pin can be generated free. I suggest you make sure the latest map PIN for V11 is generated whilst the car is under warranty (then it is stored on the VeDOK database) and you tell them to install the latest map. Or to buy the install USB from Comand Online and install it yourself - about and hour and a half max. - But get the PIN code before 3 years !!

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard.

Many thanks for that reply. I've seen a few of your posts and know you'll be fully up to speed with everything.

Just got off the phone to Mercedes Stockport who quote on quote stated "They do not have V11 and the latest they have is Version 8 for my model of car, V11 is not out yet" :wallbash:

Told me to phone any other Mercedes branch and that I will get the same result from there service department. Not had chance to phone any others yet but to say I'm not impressed is an understatement.

They also told me there was no updates available for my Comand firmware. I find that hard to believe when the car is nearly 3 years old already :mad:

As per above the PIN code is generated by VeDOK, so the dealer should be able to see v11 on there.

But they may not have the media for it. So ask them to look for MB Part Number A 218 003 60 99.

This should be the media they need in order to install the maps. They should be able to order it for you.

But once the car is out of the 3 years free updates... the dealer will not be able to generate the PIN code for you any more. If you get to that point, your best bet is to go to Comand UK and let them sort this out for you, it won't be free obviously but at least you'll have everything properly updated to the latest version.

markjay, the problem is that they can't order that part number through the normal ordering process, and it no longer gets shipped to them automatically - so they are stumped (being kind) or incompetent (...)

There is almost certainly updated firmware for your COMAND, unless been done before, but the way you check is with the diagnosis machine.

a) Get the PIN number before the 3 years runs out or else the system will no longer generate it for free.
b) Complain to MB customer services about the dealer ?
c) Come and see us and we'll sort it - but clearly not under warranty !

Cheers

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom