• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W213 E63 RMS, issue to worry about or not?

szucchet

Car
W219 CLS 55 AMG
Hi all,

Looking to get back into an AMG! Looking at w213 E63 AMG S wagons, been doing research and a few of the US posts seems to lament about Rear Main Seal (RMS) leaks - is this an issue I should worry about?

And whilst here, any other common issues/buying tips to look out for?

Thanks!

It’s caused by failure of the crankcase breather PCV system. There’s one on each side on the front of the engine. The pressure builds up and pushes the oil out the rear crank seal. Preventative maintenance around 70k should avoid the issue. Seems to affect the LS2 version of the M177.

It’s caused by failure of the crankcase breather PCV system. There’s one on each side on the front of the engine. The pressure builds up and pushes the oil out the rear crank seal. Preventative maintenance around 70k should avoid the issue. Seems to affect the LS2 version of the M177.
There is a very long thread on MBWorld covering this issue. The general consensus appears to be the issue can show itself on 30k >mile 18/19 plate cars.
The Yanks are able to get a warranty that covers the problem involving removal of the engine (as you know) the two cheap plastic oil separators and rear main seal being replaced. Cheap parts ,very labour intensive with estimates anywhere up to $9k parts and labour.
And no guarantee it won't happen again.:(

For the OP's info, take a look at this and decide for yourself. Me? I'm still going to risk it but not sure even a MB warranty would cover the repair?

Prior to picking up an S213, E63 I had a good chat with Jobsworth, the one thing he did reiterate was to have a really good test drive, as the 4motion drive is not always as smooth as you would hope for. As usual he knows his stuff, the car does scrub and skip on tight turns and around mini roundabouts… my S211 E55 is a better car around town, but that will be for another thread one day.
A 360 camera is useful as the 213 is quite a big car, and as with any car, service history, etc. I hope you find a nice one.

Prior to picking up an S213, E63 I had a good chat with Jobsworth, the one thing he did reiterate was to have a really good test drive, as the 4motion drive is not always as smooth as you would hope for. As usual he knows his stuff, the car does scrub and skip on tight turns and around mini roundabouts… my S211 E55 is a better car around town, but that will be for another thread one day.
A 360 camera is useful as the 213 is quite a big car, and as with any car, service history, etc. I hope you find a nice one.
Daveenty was telling me about tyre skip on the 213 Brian.
Apparently Michelins not the best tyre for that problem as they are very soft.
But in every other aspect Michelins are the tyre to have IMO.

I had the 360 camera on my E class and found it very useful so yes, that is one option I really want.
Thanks for the tips:thumb:

I intend to put together a comparison between the 211 and 213 once I have a few more mile in the 213. It has Michelins atm, fairly new too.
I think most E63’s come with most options to begin with as most seem to be “premium”.

Thank you all!

Through my research and knowing that every car has a gotcha to look out for I do feel comfortable enough with the rms issue - worst case just top up oil or can that oil damage other stuff?

I do really want a s213 with cream interior (cream is the mrs’s demand) so on the look out for one. Test drove a saloon a few weeks ago, was lovely to drive and will be trying out a wagon this weekend.

Noticed not all cars have the HUD optioned, that alongside 360 cam and dynamic cruise control will be must haves!

Do you know how to prove the service history in these? Used to car with service books 😅

I intend to put together a comparison between the 211 and 213 once I have a few more mile in the 213. It has Michelins atm, fairly new too.
I think most E63’s come with most options to begin with as most seem to be “premium”.

That would be greatly appreciated, look forward to owners review.👍

I've noticed most newer models were switched back to Pirelli P Zeros, which we think is a slightly harder compound tyres, which i do like. Wonder if the scrubbing issue was a reason they had swapped back from Michelin to P Zeros? 🤔

Thank you all!

Through my research and knowing that every car has a gotcha to look out for I do feel comfortable enough with the rms issue - worst case just top up oil or can that oil damage other stuff?

I do really want a s213 with cream interior (cream is the mrs’s demand) so on the look out for one. Test drove a saloon a few weeks ago, was lovely to drive and will be trying out a wagon this weekend.

Noticed not all cars have the HUD optioned, that alongside 360 cam and dynamic cruise control will be must haves!

Do you know how to prove the service history in these? Used to car with service books 😅
If you need me to look up the DSB for you just send a Private message

Thank you all!

A member with excellent taste re light interior.:thumb:
The service history can and should be obtained by the seller and should form part of the documents handed over when sold.
If you buy from a main dealer, they will provide a full print out of the service history.

I've noticed most newer models were switched back to Pirelli P Zeros, which we think is a slightly harder compound tyres, which i do like. Wonder if the scrubbing issue was a reason they had swapped back from Michelin to P Zeros? 🤔
If they switched to the Pirelli’s for that reason, they’ve basically compromised the car - they are truly shocking in anything but hot temps….
Hi all,

Looking to get back into an AMG! Looking at w213 E63 AMG S wagons, been doing research and a few of the US posts seems to lament about Rear Main Seal (RMS) leaks - is this an issue I should worry about?

And whilst here, any other common issues/buying tips to look out for?

Thanks!
Was wondering this myself - bit late for me though as I bought mine in December last year 😂. Mine is an 18 plate with 35k up so right in the danger zone….

Trying not to think about it personally!

The Yanks are able to get a warranty that covers the problem involving removal of the engine (as you know) the two cheap plastic oil separators and rear main seal being replaced. Cheap parts ,very labour intensive with estimates anywhere up to $9k parts and labour.
And no guarantee it won't happen again.:(
I’ve heard those warranties aren’t always being honoured, I think it’s very much dealer dependent.

The oil separators are part of the emissions system, which has its own warranty in the USA and they’re not honouring that either…..

I’ve heard those warranties aren’t always being honoured, I think it’s very much dealer dependent.

The oil separators are part of the emissions system, which has its own warranty in the USA and they’re not honouring that either…..
I read that too. Fidelity are the warranty company that claim to cover the RMS.
No idea on whether any warranty company, or Mercedes themselves would cover a claim for RMS work in the UK.
I highly doubt it considering the cost of the work involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom