W219 CLS55 boot/trunk leak?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks. Did you reseal them from above/below (inside the boot)

How do I remove them without damaging them too, are they just a push fit?

They are push fit and from memory are tubes sealed at the bottom with a flange around the top against the bodywork. I sealed them around the flange and added some sealant to the bottoms as well. Tops from outside the car - you have to remove the plastic strips and sealed the bottoms from the boot side.

Ok updates:-

Have taken the strips all apart, there was some dirt underneath but nothing obvious. However, previous owner had siliconed around the top channels which, in my opinion, may stop the intended drainage function of these strips. Silicone removed, new rubber push fittings (4/8 needed changing) from dealer and silicone on the underside once fitted.

Also noticed the main rear boot seal was incorrectly fitted above both those strips and the bumper plastic. Took apart, re juvinated rubber (Sonax gummi phlejer) and then tucked behind. All other surfaces cleaned with APC and a detailing brush.

I've also taken the rear left lens out as the foam looked wet (from the outer edge) but looks like it is sealing ok inside.

Also popped M8 bolts into any holes in the boot I could find (3 in total) which look like factory blanks. Doubt this will do anything, but, just in case.

Hope some of that may sort it...

You found the bolt holes, though I only found one on mine, I don't think blocking off would make any difference but as you, I didn't have a clue where the water was coming from.
My boot seal was incorrectly fitted in the top corner under the screen, again I didn't think it would of been bad enough to leak.
But doing all these things did fix it, though I do still check it regularly to make sure it is still dry.

Well none of that sorted it! But at least it has eliminated places it could leak from.

I ordered a new boot seal from MB at a reasonable price (not!) and will be fitting that soon.

So - bit of an update here. New boot seal was fitted and it is sealing well but hasn't fixed the problem, although the old seal looked to have seen some better days. Sitting in the boot for 10 mins with a flashlight and a hose running from the outside also doesn't show any leak. Symptoms only appear overnight rain - Water still pools in the bottom left corner of the boot tray then make its way around other bits of the boot tray.

Getting desperate for a fix now. Covered in inside in Talcum powder and no obvious runs of water to the location it is pooling. In fact, looks like it is dropping straight down to that location from above.

Going to make a cardboard tray to fit above the location it is pooling and see if water is dripping down from above, then lift the tray up more and more until I find how "high" the leak is. May also use a dust sheet around the boot opening to eliminate any leakage points from the lid or seal itself, again.

Not conventional but if it works...

Help! :(

No huge recent downpours yet some water has again collected in the usual place with no obvious runs from anywhere higher in the boot. This is even with the cardboard tray on top so... stumped! Water from no where? Car was stood still so water can't be getting in from the underneath.

Working further hypothesis is that water may be getting in from somewhere further back in the tray (near/behind the battery) and then running along the side of the plastic tray to the front via some form of capillary action. I thought I was seeing water pool in the bottom left of trunk and then working its way up to the battery tray but it may actually be the other way round. But no idea how/why water would be getting in from there, unless it's a rear window/body rubber seal?

Post #4?
Try removing both rear light clusters and check the gaskets, it could be a cheap fix?

Matt

Tried that, gaskets fine and also no water leaking down behind them to the location it is pooling (talc undisturbed between)

Without reading the whole thread through, have you checked that the water isn’t getting in from somewhere like the rear screen? Older MBs were notorious for this, and often dumped water into the boot.

No idea on the 219 but worth a thought if you’re running out of ideas to check! :)

I can't replicate my leak with the hose nor the pressure washer, so relying on every nights downpour to help me find the source. I am not running a number plate surround but will check behind the plate (holes).
I am talking about the whole piece (colour coded part) that sits below the chrome strip. On the W211, it is bolted on.

I am talking about the whole piece (colour coded part) that sits below the chrome strip. On the W211, it is bolted on.

Do not think it is bolted on the 219, the whole boot is one piece of metal bar the lights accessories and chrome strip

Without reading the whole thread through, have you checked that the water isn’t getting in from somewhere like the rear screen? Older MBs were notorious for this, and often dumped water into the boot.

No idea on the 219 but worth a thought if you’re running out of ideas to check! :)

Yes on my list of things left to check, but can't see evidence of water entering the back of the boot or parcel shelf. Suppose it could be running down internally and then seeping out of a seam join/factory gap or something.

No more leaks! Despite many nights of heavy rain recently.

Seems to have been a combination of the main boot seal and/or the chrome strip on the boot itself.

Very possibly I had fixed the leak earlier (main boot seal) but the 'leaks' after then were just residual water trapped under the battery or other places, swishing around.

Very strange - but happy that it is now fixed so no complaints :)

Only just seen this post otherwise I would have told you to re seal the chrome strip, I had to do mine twice before resolving the issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom