• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W220 audio options? Andriod headunit

Stavy01683

Car
S320 ALMANDINE-BLACK
Morning,

I've recently brought a Sclass 320 as my new daily car. I'd like to change the headunit to an android unit. On my options list it states command 527, what is the set up for this? I think I have a command NTG does it have an amp etc?

Many thanks in advance
Steve.

Hello and welcome . Your question is a difficult one to answer. MB 'sound systems' are sometimes quite specific and what will work in one will not work in the other despite being seemingly identical.

www.commandonline.co.uk

Might be your first point of call . They are active on here.

Hello and welcome . Your question is a difficult one to answer. MB 'sound systems' are sometimes quite specific and what will work in one will not work in the other despite being seemingly identical.

www.commandonline.co.uk

Might be your first point of call . They are active on here.
Sadly not much help on that site, just a list of mercedes parts available, thanks anyway.

Sadly not much help on that site, just a list of mercedes parts available, thanks anyway.

Email them or call them.

FWIW they stick an Integrated Automotive unit in my 212. It piggy backs on the existing Comand system and can switch between them.

I use it in Android Auto mode and it's great. Looks and feels OEM.

Email them or call them.

FWIW they stick an Integrated Automotive unit in my 212. It piggy backs on the existing Comand system and can switch between them.

I use it in Android Auto mode and it's great. Looks and feels OEM.
I'm more interested in the layout, specs and options of the original sound system, i'll be installing the upgrades myself, just need to know if its amp'd or fibre optic etc.

You do not write anything about year of manufacture.

It was some time ago. Recalling from memory...

Early Comand systems used an optical fiber bus "D2B". Later it was changed to "MOST".
At least the CL500 M/Y 2000 that I owned used D2B for the trunk mounted amp and the CD changer unit.
The comand in my car was "2.5", a system with audio casette and no "AUX" or "USB". It had a CD slot in the
passenger compartment that was used for navi CD's. The navi system was called "DX". The antenna was
located on the plastic made boot lid, shared with the MB emergency system, at the time only useable in Germany.

The D2B fiber cables were orange colored and routed in pairs. The system was not very stable. On several occasions, it hang and I had to restart the car.

There are (or were) CD changer replacement units that would mimik a CD on the after market featuring a USB-connector capable of playing .MP3's.
At some point I considered such a unit but enthusiasm faded.

Had I kept my CL, I would have removed all of the old system, keeping only the loud speakers and instead installed a modern system with navigation, USB etc.
It would have had to be carefully done since the center console, If I can recall it was actually made of wood (or at leat it looked very much like a true wood design)

The problem with old systems like this is the mechanical wear on eg. the CD exchanger. The player does not reliably play home copied music CD's.
And its location in the boot is risky, since the drainage from water and moisture ingress can be blocked.
Several CD changer units at the time had to be replaced by the local Mercedes workshop because of destruction from rising water level.

You do not write anything about year of manufacture.

It was some time ago. Recalling from memory...

Early Comand systems used an optical fiber bus "D2B". Later it was changed to "MOST".
At least the CL500 M/Y 2000 that I owned used D2B for the trunk mounted amp and the CD changer unit.
The comand in my car was "2.5", a system with audio casette and no "AUX" or "USB". It had a CD slot in the
passenger compartment that was used for navi CD's. The navi system was called "DX". The antenna was
located on the plastic made boot lid, shared with the MB emergency system, at the time only useable in Germany.

The D2B fiber cables were orange colored and routed in pairs. The system was not very stable. On several occasions, it hang and I had to restart the car.

There are (or were) CD changer replacement units that would mimik a CD on the after market featuring a USB-connector capable of playing .MP3's.
At some point I considered such a unit but enthusiasm faded.

Had I kept my CL, I would have removed all of the old system, keeping only the loud speakers and instead installed a modern system with navigation, USB etc.
It would have had to be carefully done since the center console, If I can recall it was actually made of wood (or at leat it looked very much like a true wood design)

The problem with old systems like this is the mechanical wear on eg. the CD exchanger. The player does not reliably play home copied music CD's.
And its location in the boot is risky, since the drainage from water and moisture ingress can be blocked.
Several CD changer units at the time had to be replaced by the local Mercedes workshop because of destruction from rising water level.
Hi I have command ntg so it's a 2003 model. I specifically want to know about the technical specs, like if it has an amp. Presumably most.

Must be some mistake . command online are one of the UK premier 'upgraders' of mercedes benz audio sytems.
They do list upgrades, but I wanted details on my existing system, as in has it got an amp, is it fibre optic etc. so standard specs of the system so I can order an android system to suit.

Mine has the HK amp in the rear with the orange fibre optic connection . When I looked into a similar upgrade it meant losing the amplifier which has the bass speaker built into it.

I left it there as it's low on my priority list . Best bet is to pull the unit out and get the numbers off it , sounds drastic ? on the face of it and the from the VIN mine looks identical to many other MB Audio 20 units but because it has HK surround it does not have the connection in the wiring loom to add a 3.5mm output jack that comes stock with pretty much every Audio 20, add to that the remote amp/bass box with remoted CD changer that is missing from other models ....just lots of different otions out there when they were ordered new.

It's a minefield trying to identify EXACTLY what is fitted in your car.

So taking the unit out to get a proper ID might save you time and money going forward.

Best of luck 👍

Mine has the HK amp in the rear with the orange fibre optic connection . When I looked into a similar upgrade it meant losing the amplifier which has the bass speaker built into it.

I left it there as it's low on my priority list . Best bet is to pull the unit out and get the numbers off it , sounds drastic ? on the face of it and the from the VIN mine looks identical to many other MB Audio 20 units but because it has HK surround it does not have the connection in the wiring loom to add a 3.5mm output jack that comes stock with pretty much every Audio 20, add to that the remote amp/bass box with remoted CD changer that is missing from other models ....just lots of different otions out there when they were ordered new.

It's a minefield trying to identify EXACTLY what is fitted in your car.

So taking the unit out to get a proper ID might save you time and money going forward.

Best of luck 👍
Yeah its seems like thats the best option now, doesn't seem like much info at all on what the systems include, just the types as such. Thank you anyway.

I'd avoid these android headunits and go with a known brand such as Pioneer or Kenwood. I went through this sage fitting an android erisin unit and it was just an all rounder or sh*te.

I'd avoid these android headunits and go with a known brand such as Pioneer or Kenwood. I went through this sage fitting an android erisin unit and it was just an all rounder or sh*te.

I've fitted and used a few xtrons headunits and not had a complaint. I can imagine there are some ropey ones out there though.

I've fitted and used a few xtrons headunits and not had a complaint. I can imagine there are some ropey ones out there though.

Yeah I used before too and not much issue. Probably as you said about some that went under the radar and QC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom