Weedkiller

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzer

Car
Disco and E250 Cab
I and my neighbour have spent the last week digging weeds (mainly grass and moss) out of the cracks in our block paved driveways.

Before we brush silver sand back into the cracks to firm everything back up, what industrial strength weedkiller would you guys recommend to kill off any last evidence of greenery ?

I also have a path down the side of the house that needs clearing and could do with obliterating anything green in the borders with a view to either turfing or replanting in a year or so's time once the weedkiller has done its job.

Any advice, because as far as I know DDT and Paraquat are no longer legal ?

I tend to buy a few bags of caustic soda from sainsbury (70p a bag or so), spread it over the entire driveway, then sprinkle some water on to activate it.

The day after, brush it all off and wash down - kills just about anything growing, from moss to daffodils...

M.

I've been looking for somewhere to buy caustic soda. Is it the supermarket or Homebase that sells it?

How did you remove the offending moss?

I have a mahoosive brick patio that needs doing. I am thinking on renting an industrial jet wash to blast it out.

How did you remove the offending moss?

I have a mahoosive brick patio that needs doing. I am thinking on renting an industrial jet wash to blast it out.

Either by hand, using a 3 pronged claw, or a wire brush on a mop arrangement sold at our local garden centre.

Complete b4ll ache, but aided by mp3.

I've been looking for somewhere to buy caustic soda. Is it the supermarket or Homebase that sells it?

mmm .....the last time someone mentioned the above on a forum they got a knock from MI5 and the bomb squad.

mmm .....the last time someone mentioned the above on a forum they got a knock from MI5 and the bomb squad.

Yes it could go rather badly wrong. Perhaps you should attempt to bleach the weeds. Nip out and buy 20 gallons of peroxide instead.

Yes it could go rather badly wrong. Perhaps you should attempt to bleach the weeds. Nip out and buy 20 gallons of peroxide instead.

ha ha ha check your front door I hear sirens. :)

Roundup - as used by Farmers. If bought from the local farmer's co-op it can be a higher concentration than the small tubs at your local garden centre.

Boring old lawn sand. Has moss killer in it, and cheap as chips.

Then pathclear for the weeds, and repeat annually.

Wilkinsons used to sell both caustic/sodium hydroxide and sodium chlorate. I know the latter is off limits now, but imagine caustic can be found in a drain cleaner type of stuff.

As a good weedkiller, glyphosate is a strong all rounder. The normal spray on stuff from Wilkos or garden centres is good enough to kill most path weeds, though you can but stronger variants for killing things like tree stumps and knotweed etc. I just buy the cheapest stuff from B&Q or Wilkos - the economy version of their own brands - it all works the same.

Glyphosate is biodegradable and so allows you to replant afterwards too as it doesn't poison the soil as caustic/sodium chlorate does.

I think you can still buy diquat in some form too - sure I had some from B&Q lasy year.

Looking at mysupermarket:

Dri Pak Soda Crystals (1Kg)
Waitrose 90p
ASDA 90p
Tesco 90p
Ocado 90p
Sainsbury's 90p

Dri Pak site:
http://www.dri-pak.co.uk/soda-crystals.html
Soda Crystals are extremely good value, with hundreds of uses including:

* Removing burnt on residue in pots and pans
* Helping keep sinks and drains fresh and blockage free
* Grease removal in household cleaning and laundry
* Removing moss and algae from patios
* And many more!!

Get a Gallon of Deisel (Red or White) trickle it along the cracks, you will never have weeds there again!!

Cautic soda is available from Tesco. We use it to keep our sinks and drains clear.

I have found a good cheap weedkiller to be SBK brushwood killer 20% and add 80% parafin to it. Use an old squirty bottle like an empty Mr Muscle bath cleaner.
The SBK does the killing and the parafin makes sure that it is not washed off the weeds by rain.

DO NOT get the mixture on plants that you want to keep.

I mix cheap cooking salt with fine sand and brush into the cracks after de-weeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom