What SLK to go for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dickster

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL55
I have a friend interested in buying an SLK for his wife for around £3k. What’s the best year and engine to go for? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

The original (R170) is not galvanised, the second generation (R171) which I believe is 2004 onwards is - so tin worm is less of a problem, although rear sub frames can be.

If you contemplate a V6 petrol (eg, SLK280) research on here and MBOA, early engines had potential major problems.

For roof down motoring and leather interior, heated seats and airscarf are good options, memory package would also be nice if both of you will be driving it.

Plenty of choice of SLK200's (1.8l petrol), often ladies cars, I believe they are "adequately quick", but the only SLK I've driven is my 280, and as it's my car I would not even look at anything under 3L, and was barred from looking at the 55AMG I'd really have liked!

Thanks Chris 👍 the 230 and 320 seem to be the engines to go for..

At £3k a late r170 (first generation) with good wings, and service history is probably right. An early or high mileage r171 is also possible but it will be a tired example. I think the early ones look best (but I’m biased)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom