What's that tinkly noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
so you may be pulled over by the police - even though there may be a month left on the old MOT.

I think they are talking rubbish, you still have a test cert in force until it's expiry date, as you always did.
A car showing as failing a test isn't the same as the old cert expiring and I don't think the Police would even be made aware.

Contact VOSA or we'll wait until someone gets a fail and see what is on the MOT test web site. I think we had this query once before.

I think they are talking rubbish, you still have a test cert in force until it's expiry date, as you always did.
A car showing as failing a test isn't the same as the old cert expiring and I don't think the Police would even be made aware.

Contact VOSA or we'll wait until someone gets a fail and see what is on the MOT test web site. I think we had this query once before.

Thats why I said it was a bit of a grey area - the garage said that because it is now logged electronically the police national computer can see that the car has failed the mot - they were not sure if the remaining time on the old one would still show up or be valid - they also made the point that it could depend on why the car had failed - eg bald tyres would be more dodgy than an emissions problem.
I would also like to know the definitive answer - it was clear enough in the "old days"

With your car ONLY fit genuine CATS as after market types sound awful and are a pig to fit.

They are expensive but worth it:p :)

Thanks Ollie, I respect your advice as you've been spot on diagnosing problems with my car in the past.

Given that it's a bit of a schlap to you and I will have to rely on a local independent or dealer:

What is the final test to ensure you're right?

What would you charge for fitting?

Should I get both CATs done at the same time?

It's the CAT alright. Coming back from London Airport tonight I there was a noticeable loss of power under hard acceleration and the idle became lumpy, I guess because the O2 sensor is getting screwy readings. Hope I don't have to replace that as well.

Thanks Ollie, I respect your advice as you've been spot on diagnosing problems with my car in the past.

Given that it's a bit of a schlap to you and I will have to rely on a local independent or dealer:

What is the final test to ensure you're right?

What would you charge for fitting?

Should I get both CATs done at the same time?

You need to get the car in the air and tap the exhaust to see which CAT is causing the rattle (there are 4 in total).

Its about an hour to fit and there is no need to replace the other side too.

Please get it sorted soon as broken up ceramic particals from the CAT can enter the engine and wear it out premeturely.

Thanks Ollie. It's going in today as I share your concern about the damage a broken CAT can do. Will it already have affected my O2 sensor?

Thanks Ollie. How often is the occurence of CAT debris being sucked back into the engine?

I looked at EPC for my car and it only lists one CAT per side, although from the drawing that looks to be a whole section of pipe with a CAT at each end. Now I'm not sure how much this is going to cost me. Any idea on parts?

The prices fo CATs have come down a bit. Expect to pay about £400ish for the part

amwebby take the car to merc to check that it is one of the cats, also they may give a goodwill discount. I had one of mine done 2 years ago. it worked out at the same cost as going to an independent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom