Which coolant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rmk74

Car
C250 AMG
I hope this is one of those "easy if you know the answer" type questions, long story short - I had to replace housing from a coolant leak, I had called in to Halfords to purchase coolant prior to this to top up, my confidence in the salesguy was low, when I gave my reg (2013 C250 CDi B.E.) he gave me this:
Halfords OAT Ready Mixed Antifreeze 2 Litres

What struck me was that it was red/pink - but before my previous coolant tank emptied I remembered it was blue - AG13 Antifreeze (Hightec)

Does the red/blue mean anything or simply the different manufacturers trying to mess with our heads? I vaguely understand the OAT reference for newer engines but would it do any lasting harm to my OM651?

Thanks both. Gaz - I'll go for blue with a bit of ignorant bliss, who cares whats going on under the bonnet.

In reality, and thanks to Mr. B and Bruce, the colours don't necessarily mean anything. However I am still none the wiser will this cheap-as-chips OATey Halford stuff do any long term harm. Probably not and I'm just not that convinced by Bruce's sales pitch, so may stick to one of MBs recommendations on 325.0 or 326.0.

If you are just topping up get it from the dealer.

If you are doing a full flush it doesn't matter so much in my opinion.

But if you go with a complete flush with the mb stuff you are good for 15 years if I recall correctly

So there was me worrying about red or blue coolant, the bigger issue being that the housing that was replaced yesterday hasn't worked and I am losing coolant at a rate of knots. Back to square one unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom