• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Which Mercedes should be my first?

ThinWhiteDuke

Car
C200
Hey all

Just joined the forum today as I'm looking for guidance on which Mercedes should be my first.
My budget is around £17k and it must be a convertible, my previous car was the first convertible (BMW F33) I've owned and I have just totally fallen in love with the open top experience. I am not interested in big engines in the slightest, infact the more economincal the better. I'm also after a 4 seater, don't really like the look of the 2 seater mercs I've seen. One concern I've got is keeping a soft top car outside in the cold harsh winters all year. I will be moving soon but it's unlikely I will have a garage so I wanted to get people's thoughts on this? The thought of leaving a softop outside in the cold harsh English winters does concern me somewhat! Other than that I don't really have any other requirements, other than it must not be white! I prefer to be more inconspicuous. As you can tell, I know very little about Mercedes so really needing some informed guidance here!

Edit: also wanted to add that obviosuly I want something low maintence, heard some horror stories of Mercedes diesel engines so if a petrol egine is the better option then so be it.

Hey all

Just joined the forum today as I'm looking for guidance on which Mercedes should be my first.
My budget is around £17k and it must be a convertible, my previous car was the first convertible (BMW F33) I've owned and I have just totally fallen in love with the open top experience. I am not interested in big engines in the slightest, infact the more economincal the better. I'm also after a 4 seater, don't really like the look of the 2 seater mercs I've seen. One concern I've got is keeping a soft top car outside in the cold harsh winters all year. I will be moving soon but it's unlikely I will have a garage so I wanted to get people's thoughts on this? The thought of leaving a softop outside in the cold harsh English winters does concern me somewhat! Other than that I don't really have any other requirements, other than it must not be white! I prefer to be more inconspicuous. As you can tell, I know very little about Mercedes so really needing some informed guidance here!

Edit: also wanted to add that obviosuly I want something low maintence, heard some horror stories of Mercedes diesel engines so if a petrol egine is the better option then so be it.
My 2009 CLK lives outdoors , never had a problem with it , I clean and treat it twice a year with Fabsil .
After all the cars were built for a Northern German winter .
IMG_1417.jpeg

E400 V6 petrol as well ?

I was going by this comment:

I am not interested in big engines in the slightest, infact the more economincal the better

I had a quick look on Auto Trader and there are a few petrol C200 cabs. around too, which might also be an option.

Hi , if you purchase C207E400 with the pan roor this what I do.

Open the sun roof fully and lower both rear windows you have very near have a rag top experience.

Remember this model is a pillar less coupe

I did see the not interested in big engines part , but economy wise there’s not a huge difference with the 400 .
A V6 isn’t a V8 , it’s still fairly sensible .

Thanks for all the replies everyone, very helpful indeed. I really like the look of the e200 cabriolet. Can I get a decent, newish one for around £17k? And if I want a small economical engine which one should I be looking at? Also what optional extras are a must have? For example my BMW F33 had the air scarf and the active suspension etc. What should I be looking for on a e200? Also does it come with a wind deflector, it made such a difference on my F33 I wouldn't drive it with the roof down without the deflector in place, it was like being in a little cocoon. With the heated seats, steering wheel and air scarft you could drive it with the roof down in the winter and be as snug as a bug. Another thing I managed to find on my F33 which was extremely rare for the age of car (2017) was a digital binnacle. So yeah looking for advice on what optional extras are a must have really.

sorry guys think I've actually changed my mind now and prefer the c class convertible! Same questions as above apply though; diesel or petrol? what options to look out for? Does it have a wind deflector?

sorry guys think I've actually changed my mind now and prefer the c class convertible! Same questions as above apply though; diesel or petrol? what options to look out for? Does it have a wind deflector?
You should drive both first (C and E ) they will feel very different . If you are a high mileage user then maybe diesel (avoid adblue engines ) , if not petrol .

You should drive both first (C and E ) they will feel very different .

I've never driven either, but from 2009 to 2017 an E Class cab. (A207) would be the only option ... that replaced the CLK cab. (A209), and was based on the W204 C Class.

The C Class cab. only came out in 2017 and ran alongside the new E Class cab. (A205 and A238 respectively). I'm pretty sure an A238 would be out of budget, but an A205 C200 shouldn't be.

20230430_164900.jpg
Good luck with your search. 🙂👍

Needs a 4 seater, so SLK is a non starter, also in a way is an SL as they IIRC are 2+2 if the rear seat has been fitted, so in MB it's C Class or E Class (or S class if you win the lottery!!)

E class rear space is a little better and C class space.

E200 or if you can find one an E250 CGI (both petrol) will be in budget
18 inch wheels (no bigger) and sport/ AMG bits on it along with Comand, Air scarf, heated seats and all round parking sensors (plus leather).

If you fine a C class in budget, it will be without some options and have a lot of miles on it....

Thanks all for the replies.
After looking on autotrader I've decided to increase the budget to £20k.
I am moving to Kent from Sussex probably in the next 6 months and will be driving from Kent to Brighton 1 day per week. I have been looking at engines and would there be a significant difference in fuel costs from say an E220d to an E350d for motorway driving? I appreciate I said I wanted a small engine but I may have changed my mind somewhat :p

Thanks all for the replies.
After looking on autotrader I've decided to increase the budget to £20k.
I am moving to Kent from Sussex probably in the next 6 months and will be driving from Kent to Brighton 1 day per week. I have been looking at engines and would there be a significant difference in fuel costs from say an E220d to an E350d for motorway driving? I appreciate I said I wanted a small engine but I may have changed my mind somewhat :p
Don’t drive the E350d if you think you want the 220 ! There won’t be a huge mpg difference on the motorway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom