• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Which Mercedes should be my first?

Don’t drive the E350d if you think you want the 220 ! There won’t be a huge mpg difference on the motorway
Haha ok thanks my friend, will keep that in mind.
In my heart I think I already know what I'm going to end up with (E350D Cabriolet).

How do I know how to stay away from adblue and what exactly is the issue with it?

Haha ok thanks my friend, will keep that in mind.
In my heart I think I already know what I'm going to end up with (E350D Cabriolet).

How do I know how to stay away from adblue and what exactly is the issue with it?
I don’t know what years are adblue , but the liquid itself can gum up and affect the tank and sensor , £1k+ I believe to sort it .
You can use an adblue anti crystal additive that may prevent this .
Im sure those with more recent knowledge will add some info .

Save your money and buy BMW. Iv had several a Mercedes over the years and every single once I have had niggling issues……

I don’t know what years are adblue , but the liquid itself can gum up and affect the tank and sensor , £1k+ I believe to sort it .
You can use an adblue anti crystal additive that may prevent this .
Im sure those with more recent knowledge will add some info .
Does anyone else know how I avoid getting a model with adblue when buying an E350D?

Does anyone else know how I avoid getting a model with adblue when buying an E350D?
My 2011 ML350D is a BlueEfficiency and is Euro 5. Models with adblue are tagged BlueTec and are Euro 6 compliant. I presume the E class works the same.

It's your money, but I wouldn't personally choose a diesel. Even the non-AdBlue ones are highly complex things with lots to go wrong (speaking from my own experience with an older Euro 4 one).

We have a 2019 C300 estate (petrol turbo), which is fairly rapid at 5.5 secs 0-60 but still gives mpg in the 40s on a motorway run:

1696283982475.png

Thanks all for the replies.
After looking on autotrader I've decided to increase the budget to £20k.
I am moving to Kent from Sussex probably in the next 6 months and will be driving from Kent to Brighton 1 day per week. I have been looking at engines and would there be a significant difference in fuel costs from say an E220d to an E350d for motorway driving? I appreciate I said I wanted a small engine but I may have changed my mind somewhat :p
Hi , my C207E400 is the smallest E class car ever built. It's actually built on the C class chassis.

Fuel consumption is good for 3.5 litre engine is good.On a good motor way trip using V Power petrol is 38 / 40 mpg.

Locally the car returns 25 / 27 mpg but I live in a hilly area.

I have had two C207 and both excellent cars.

Hi , my C207E400 is the smallest E class car ever built.

Not quite - the C124 E Coupe was shorter :)

It's actually built on the C class chassis.

Yup same as its predecessor (although that was branded as the CLK). The C Class has steadily got bigger though - we went from a W203 to a W205 and the increase in size was immediately noticeable.

thanks for the all the replies everyone, have to say I'm more confused than ever now though. I was decided on a E350 cab but after the comments about the problems with mercedes diesels this has really put me off.

Here is a question for everyone:

If you had 20k to spend on a convertible mercedes, petrol or diesel, what would you buy?

thanks for the all the replies everyone, have to say I'm more confused than ever now though. I was decided on a E350 cab but after the comments about the problems with mercedes diesels this has really put me off.

Here is a question for everyone:

If you had 20k to spend on a convertible mercedes, petrol or diesel, what would you buy?
These days, probably a Petrol. Although I do love my C207 350cdi, awesome car, but if was changing now would, would probably be an E400. 🙂

thanks guys, looks like with a petrol version I will have to get an older one because you get a lot less off your money as oppossed to diesel

Mine is a E250 diesel, A207 AMG sport, it has heated seats and the neck scarf thingy. I’ve had it 3 years now and never had a single problem apart from failed battery and only do 3,000 miles a year, mostly short journeys.
It’s great on fuel and pretty quick when you need it, no silly AdBlue either.
Don’t be put off the diesel.

Mine is a E250 diesel, A207 AMG sport, it has heated seats and the neck scarf thingy. I’ve had it 3 years now and never had a single problem apart from failed battery and only do 3,000 miles a year, mostly short journeys.
It’s great on fuel and pretty quick when you need it, no silly AdBlue either.
Don’t be put off the diesel.
thanks geoffus! I have to say I'm so confused! Everyone has a different opinion. I'm starting to think I should go back to BMW but I really don't want another one. I want to own a merc for the first time in my life.

Can I ask, do mercedes come with heated streering wheels as don't think I've see this option on autotrader yet?

My only input into this thread is to just buy the one that you have always wanted.... My first Mercedes was the model i always wanted, albeit from 20 years ago! I am very happy with it :cool:

thanks geoffus! I have to say I'm so confused! Everyone has a different opinion. I'm starting to think I should go back to BMW but I really don't want another one. I want to own a merc for the first time in my life.

Can I ask, do mercedes come with heated streering wheels as don't think I've see this option on autotrader yet?
I don’t think the C or E class come with heated steering wheels, you may have to go to S class for that.

Can I ask another question, I was looking at this Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale and it says it's got a bodykit on it. This would be aftermarket right? I'm not looking at buying a car with a non-OEM bodykit on it.
I would go for a standard car, when paying top money out for a car with lots of extras, you rarely get any more money for it when time to sell.
Looks nice though.

I don't ever remember getting in a car and thinking "ooh I wish that steering wheel was warmer!!.......well not since driving classics with Bakerlite ( and they were far worse for burning you in the summer!!)!!

To me it ranks along side heated seats....pointless as when they need to be warm is when you first sit on them as that is the only time you might notice they are cold (unless you often wear a mini skirt....something I hardly ever do now!!!)....but they wont be warm when you get in unless you have remote start. I guess they might have a place on a convertible though.

As far as petrol and derv is concerned....well as much as I've enjoyed the high torque flexible power of my car and racked up 171,000 miles on it....would I buy another?.....nope. Life for non E6 dervs is going to get very tough (as said above this is already being reflected in their prices on the use market) and its only going to get worse.....and if I was given a E6 one?....Id sell it....they are just a big bill waiting to happen.....the last thing you want when one of the main reasons for having a derv in the first place is economy. Next car will be petrol and Ill just have to suck up the extra fuel costs.....don't do as many miles these days anyway.

Last edited:
Hey all

Just joined the forum today as I'm looking for guidance on which Mercedes should be my first.
My budget is around £17k and it must be a convertible, my previous car was the first convertible (BMW F33) I've owned and I have just totally fallen in love with the open top experience. I am not interested in big engines in the slightest, infact the more economincal the better. I'm also after a 4 seater, don't really like the look of the 2 seater mercs I've seen. One concern I've got is keeping a soft top car outside in the cold harsh winters all year. I will be moving soon but it's unlikely I will have a garage so I wanted to get people's thoughts on this? The thought of leaving a softop outside in the cold harsh English winters does concern me somewhat! Other than that I don't really have any other requirements, other than it must not be white! I prefer to be more inconspicuous. As you can tell, I know very little about Mercedes so really needing some informed guidance here!

Edit: also wanted to add that obviosuly I want something low maintence, heard some horror stories of Mercedes diesel engines so if a petrol egine is the better option then so be it.
Cabs are for women, purchase a 204 c63.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom