Who adds any DPF cleaner to the fuel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

14emerc

Car
E class 220cdi
I’m interested to see what people add, if anything, to help the DPF stay healthy

I use carlube double strength. Halfords £9 a bottle.

i add this , probably does about 12 tanks , so £1.50 ish a tank

I find the occasional use of a heavy right foot does lots of good - except for the poor sod behind who gets a faceful of black smoke for a short while!

Not required or recommended by Mercedes. As long as you use diesels for what they are intended for you shouldn’t have DPF issues ;)

Mmmm. Do you ever wonder why. Or just do as your told. ?

The wife had a Diesel car for 5 years (not Merc), mostly used for the school run and going to the shops. When I bought it the advice was to use only premium diesel, which burns cleaner, to protect the DPF given the expected low annual mileage. We did that and had no issues with the DPF while we owned the car (though obviously we may have just been lucky).

Mmmm. Do you ever wonder why. Or just do as your told. ?

Just speaking from my experience of having no DPF issues whatsoever without the use of special potions which may or may not have any effect whatsoever ;)

The wife had a Diesel car for 5 years (not Merc), mostly used for the school run and going to the shops. When I bought it the advice was to use only premium diesel, which burns cleaner, to protect the DPF given the expected low annual mileage. We did that and had no issues with the DPF while we owned the car (though obviously we may have just been lucky).

Fair point . As many of you know I had dpf issues with my c250 and they came about using asda fuel during the lockdown. Being a key worker I fell for the 99p a litre

Just speaking from my experience of having no DPF issues whatsoever without the use of special potions which may or may not have any effect whatsoever ;)

Which Diesel fuel do you use?

I invariably use Tescos - they do not offer a "premium" diesel so it's the ordinary stuff. Most of our runs in the S204 are 10 miles or less, with the occasional 120 mile each way run to Aylesbury and back - which has not happened since late February! It's a case of price and convenience, as I normally manage to fuel up when getting dragged there for a groceries shopping trip, but at least one of those can now end with a couple of pints on the way home, my reward for "helping" with the shopping!

Having said all that, I do look for the Redex injector cleaner when Tesco's have it at 1/2 price (£2 for a bottle that does 2 tankfulls) and use it on both cars.

Some say an Italian tune up works ,I believe that means driving in lower gear,just below the red line on the rev counter for about 2 or 3 miles.

Which Diesel fuel do you use?
I’m not particularly fussed MJ, the E250 mainly drinks either Tesco or Shell diesel as they are the stations nearby. I do fill up with the occasional tank of V-Power diesel but if I’m honest I don’t notice any performance benefit - but I suppose the additional additives will do it some good.

I guess mainly it’s the long runs I do that keep the car happy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom