• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Why do this?

flying haggis

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS shooting brake, SWMBO has B class
Swmbo has a 2013 B class and we decided to possibly get a newer one. BUT can someone explain why MB have swopped the radio and cruise controls steering wheel buttons to the opposite side from before!!!??? And why the two foot long I pad dashboard?? Think we will stick with what we have got.

I thought about replacing my 2015 E350 with a newer version.
I don't want an Ipad on the dash and I'm not paying an extra m£410 p/a road tax to drive something that is perhaps less poluting.
So I'm keeping the one I have

Swmbo has a 2013 B class and we decided to possibly get a newer one. BUT can someone explain why MB have swopped the radio and cruise controls steering wheel buttons to the opposite side from before!!!??? And why the two foot long I pad dashboard?? Think we will stick with what we have got.
Progress

Must say I like the Dashboard on the newer Mercs. Think the interiors on newer Mercs are brilliant. The Cruise control swop wouldn't bother me either.
As above post said, Progress.
But some won't like it. Each to there own. 🙂👍

Regarding the buttons, I went from an A7 to a C class and the button position caught me out for months.
It's what your used to, I suppose!

That 'Two foot long iPad' on the dash is actually a massive step up from the older dashboards. Its can display as much or as little as you want and in perfect clarity too, I love the one in my E-class.

That 'Two foot long iPad' on the dash is actually a massive step up from the older dashboards. Its can display as much or as little as you want and in perfect clarity too, I love the one in my E-class.
When I bought my w205 I read loads of complaints about the IPad stuck on the dash.
After buying it, I don't see why anyone would object to it, is it just because it looks different to what was the norm?

When I bought my w205 I read loads of complaints about the IPad stuck on the dash.
After buying it, I don't see why anyone would object to it, is it just because it looks different to what was the norm?
Agreed.

Like many things - and especially technology - the people who like the “new” thing least are the people who haven’t tried it. Most people adapt quickly when they try it, but humans are less open to change as they age, it’s the way we’re wired.

I remember my Mom said she’d never learn how to use a mobile phone, but she did. Then she said she couldn’t ever change from a Nokia, but she did. Then she said she couldn’t ever change from a BlackBerry but she did.

Each new generation of E-Class is never as good as the last when it’s first launched, despite the fact they continually make significant steps forward with every generation. The generation before last is often the one cited as being the best.

Agreed.

Like many things - and especially technology - the people who like the “new” thing least are the people who haven’t tried it. Most people adapt quickly when they try it, but humans are less open to change as they age, it’s the way we’re wired.

I remember my Mom said she’d never learn how to use a mobile phone, but she did. Then she said she couldn’t ever change from a Nokia, but she did. Then she said she couldn’t ever change from a BlackBerry but she did.

Each new generation of E-Class is never as good as the last when it’s first launched, despite the fact they continually make significant steps forward with every generation. The generation before last is often the one cited as being the best.
Each generation is objectively better however that doesn’t mean that there isn’t an older generation we might prefer subjectively for some reason or other, however some people confuse better with preferring.

I’m at an age now where my friends are buying older cars, and we tell ourselves that it’s because they’re better because modern cars are too fast, too quiet, too bland, too generic, too stiff, too electric, too pick-anything-else.

In reality though we’re just doing the same as each previous generation who has been into cars. We’re just buying the cars that remind us of when we were younger. We now call them modern classics rather than classic cars 😀

I thought about replacing my 2015 E350 with a newer version.
I don't want an Ipad on the dash and I'm not paying an extra m£410 p/a road tax to drive something that is perhaps less poluting.
So I'm keeping the one I have
I guess even if it's less poluting it must be kicking out significantly more CO to attract such a big VED rise.

While I like looking at, and admiring, and appreciate the work that goes into "Classic" Cars. Personally never been interested in owning one. Give me a Modern car any day. 🙂👍
I totally agree Toe. I always like each new generation of cars. Especially the interior. 🥳

I have had 4 different MB Versions plus a "Loan" B Class and didn't notice any difference in the Radio and Cruise Control Buttons positioning! So:

:ttiuwp

We run both a 2015 SLK55 (with "analogue" dash) and a W177 A-Class with the wide-screen "digital" dash. I swap between the two with little difficulty, as I'm sure would most people.

As a general observation, the integrated information displays of the A-Class are more comprehensive than those of the SLK, but - and this is a direct function of the extra information available and therefore the relatively complex menu tree - navigation between the displays can be more demanding of the driver's attention than it is in the SLK. I also prefer the tactile real buttons of the SLK to the "soft" buttons of the A-Class for the same reason of requiring less attention to operate them, but in fairness the main controls on the A-Class remain operated by physical buttons with only the secondary, subordinate, ones accessed by soft buttons.

Where I do think Mercedes have made a retrograde step with the facelift A-Class is their removal of the centre console touchpad, so that all navigation of the display has to be carried out either by way of the small touchpads on the steering wheel spokes, or by using the touchscreen display itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom