Will live traffic work with an SD card bought on the internet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DougWadsworth

Car
2017 C Class estate petrol
I would like to update the maps in my 2017 C Class and also get the live traffic back since it stopped working after 3 years.
it seems that Mercedes has changed the way maps can use live traffic recently and I have been told by Mercedes that I need to buy a new SD card for about £110 as well as to subscibe to the navigation package for £107. The navigation package has 7 services but my car can only use one the Live traffic, so I am not very happy to pay for 6 items I can’t use.
Does anyone know how best to update my nav maps and get live traffic?
I understand that I might have to subscribe to the Mercedes navigation package but if I buy a maps SD card on the internet will it work with the live traffic?
2021/2022 Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot GPS Satellite Navigation Full Install SD Card STAR2 v17 Europe - A2139062610

I have decided not to buy the SD card from the internet as the vendor says...
In order to get a [very expensive] Live Traffic annual subscription setup you need to purchase the card directly from MB so they can register the card and VIN
As I really want the Live Traffic it seems I will also need to subscribe and buy a new SD Card.

An SD card from the dealership should have traffic built in for 3 years. Cheapskate me bought new maps off ebay WITHOUT traffic for £24 vs dealer WITH traffic price £99 a couple of years ago. The traffic subscription is not worth it.

I would like to update the maps in my 2017 C Class and also get the live traffic back since it stopped working after 3 years.
it seems that Mercedes has changed the way maps can use live traffic recently and I have been told by Mercedes that I need to buy a new SD card for about £110 as well as to subscibe to the navigation package for £107. The navigation package has 7 services but my car can only use one the Live traffic, so I am not very happy to pay for 6 items I can’t use.
Does anyone know how best to update my nav maps and get live traffic?
I understand that I might have to subscribe to the Mercedes navigation package but if I buy a maps SD card on the internet will it work with the live traffic?
2021/2022 Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot GPS Satellite Navigation Full Install SD Card STAR2 v17 Europe - A2139062610
Check out NAVI EXPERT on eBay/Amazon. I have just updated the maps in my GLC using a USB stick from them. It cost half as much as a dealership or Indy would have charged. It has not interfered with Live Traffic. If you send your VIN number to Lukas he will let you know what he can do for you. He is extremely knowlegable and helpful.

Mercedes have changed their pricing policy, the update SD card no longer includes live traffic. To get live traffic you have to subscribe for 1 or 3 years.
Therefore to get live traffic with the latest maps it costs £106 for the SD card and a one year live traffic subscription for £107.00. Total £213.00
My main complaint is that Live Traffic is no longer sold as a separate subscription but bundled with 7 other services of which 6 are unavailable to me either because of the build of my car or because they are just not available in the UK. They do give a 10% overall discount but that is not nearly enough.
When I questioned this with Mercedes this was the reply
"Unfortunately we are bound by the prices our head office sets in accordance with the laws of the region where these packages may be purchased."
This makes no sense, I wonder which UK law sets policies like this, maybe something for the CMA to investigate.

Attachments

• Mercedes Nav Package.png
    Mercedes Nav Package.png
    257.5 KB · Views: 4
Cant you fit Android Auto / Apple Carplay and use Google maps on you phone for the live traffic data , it will be a one time purchase.

K

You will have to buy the genuine card, if you want live traffic and pay the separate fee. I had three months left on live traffic, purchased an internet card to update the maps and lost the live traffic (although it did state on the display, subscription valid for the original time)

I did look into buying an SD card from the internet at less than half the official price, however it would not work with live traffic, and live traffic is what I really want.
My car is just a few months too old to have Apple play.

My car is just a few months too old to have Apple play.

It can be retrofitted , i believe.

One off payment and can be removed + resold when you change the vehicle to recoup some of the original outlay.

K

Odd how my wife's 2011 SLK still had some kind of live traffic on it when we traded it in last week, but my old company C220d 2018 stopped working at 3 years old. I hadn't realised they had changed the way they work as it was useful, but I wouldn't pay those prices for it now I'm retired. :(

I think it would be too expensive to retro fit Apple car play.

Have you priced it ?

As per your first post , from MB it will be £200 for the first year + £100 every year after.

Without knowing what version of NTG you have , possibly 5... , a quick Google came up with £350 + fitting . If you can DIY it then it will have almost paid for itself after year two of subscriptions.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom