How long are your commutes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Up to two year ago is was outside to the car and I was at work, driving 95k ish miles a year.

For the last two years it's been bedroom, bathroom, kitchen to make a coffee, lounge to sit and drink coffee, fiddle around all day then bed. This retirement lark is something else :banana:

Monday and Friday 60 meters from bed to desk..

The rest of the working week 72 mile round trip... I hank hod for active cruise control and Joe Rogan podcasts.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

340 miles 7 hrs drive, then 3 weeks there, then 340 miles 7hrs drive back

0.8miles to my Unit each way, Usually by Van although i walk or cycle Tuesdays as i dont work Mondays and leave the van at the unit over the weekend. I do cycle around 70 miles a week to make up for it tho lol

Around 50 Miles Peterborough to Cambridge each way, it depends on the A1 & A14 Roadwork situation!:rolleyes::wallbash:

The M1 is worse I can assure you. Near Luton it's always rammed, and the vast array of speed cameras as some idiot in an office changes the speed limit every 10 seconds :mad:

The non-variable speed limit section between J13 to 16 is just heavenly... thank god I don't need to go through the J16+ N'bound 50mph average zone.... YET :rolleyes:

I spent 10 years commuting between Sussex and New York until somebody flew a couple of planes into our offices in the World Trade Centre. It was actually a good commute and a good working lifestyle/balance.

I have never lived closer than 7 miles from work which is what I did half the 25 years I was in Norfolk. The rest of the time I worked out of the country or county...which is a long way from anywhere.
In 2013 my working week started at 3am:confused: to drive 300 miles to the Lake District to be in the office by 8am. Later in the week it was down to Crewe for a few days and back home (mostly) by Friday.
Which is why I have ended up somewhat closer to the centre of the country and now choose if and when I work and there is no such thing as a regular commute:D

The M1 is worse I can assure you. Near Luton it's always rammed, and the vast array of speed cameras as some idiot in an office changes the speed limit every 10 seconds :mad:

The non-variable speed limit section between J13 to 16 is just heavenly... thank god I don't need to go through the J16+ N'bound 50mph average zone.... YET :rolleyes:

I don't find the m1 too bad, I used to have to travel to a site in Dunstable a lot! The a14 has calmed down recently but I think this is due to everyone trying to avoid it!

It's either 50 miles one way, mostly on M25, or 1 floor down to my Home Office. Did some remote work from the Alps (near the place that's in my avatar) and Tatra Mountains recently :)

Every 3 weeks I set off on a Monday afternoon from home to Hull Ferry terminal, overnight crossing to Europoort, 4hr drive on the Tuesday morning to Bremerhaven arriving after lunch. Hotel for the night. Helicopter on the Wednesday morning for 50min and land offshore on Jack-up. Stay for 21 days and then same trip home. It's a time consuming way to travel but the ferry gives me a decent rest as does the following nights hotel and the Autobahn is always a winner for me :cool:

I don't find the m1 too bad, I used to have to travel to a site in Dunstable a lot! The a14 has calmed down recently but I think this is due to everyone trying to avoid it!
As we speak we left from Northants down to London and the ****ing M1 J14-15 is closed AGAIN!!!!!

'Unknown chemical substance on road'

Now taking the A43 down to OX and then M40....

My commute is 90 mins each way, so 3 hours a day (assuming everything runs perfectly). Two nights a week I walk home from the station, which adds another 20-25 mins. Due to retire in 3 years - can't wait :)

I don't miss doing big miles, I used to have to travel all over the UK and started to measure my travel in terms of time rather than miles, 35 hours in a week was one of my worst - 1850 miles. I also did my job on top of those hours.

These days my commute should read, bed, kitchen, 5 mile walk with the dog, breakfast, desk. Much more rewarding.

The most hilarious commute was the full length of the M4 in the winter 2009/10 much of it sideways in my old S class on well worn Summer tyres.

I spent 10 years commuting between Sussex and New York until somebody flew a couple of planes into our offices in the World Trade Centre. It was actually a good commute and a good working lifestyle/balance.

Here is the thing. The Planes usually left on time or made up time in-flight. I always got a seat, could read my paper, watch a movie and catch up with any email etc. My fellow travellers were usually interesting people who all had that sixth sense that told them when to approach and when to leave each other alone.

Now back living full time in South East of England I get to enjoy a 1.5 hour commute on our wonderful railways. I never (and I do mean never) get a seat for my £50 per day ticket. Lot's of my fellow travelers have suffered burglaries where their soap, toothpaste and deodorant have been stolen. Some find farting funny, when it is not. The trains are late at least 75% of the time they actually are running and not cancelled. I have long since given up attempting to drink a cup of tea on the train. I usually end up wearing my fellow travelers tea all over my suit. My stress levels are seriously high, to the point I actually sought professional advice an how to manage them when commuting. If there is a hell? This is not far away from it.

3.6 miles each way. Too short for the car to fully warm up which constitutes abuse, so I don't. I abuse a motorcycle instead. I'd abuse myself and cycle but it's too dangerous. When it snows I do abuse myself and walk.

At the minute it consists of:
A drive to the local airport (approx 15 mins)
A flight to Schipol (approx 1hr)
Sit around for a few hours
Another flight to Accra, Ghana (approx 6.5hrs)
A drive to the hotel upon arrival (approx 25 mins)
An overnight stay
Another drive to the airport in the morning (approx 25 mins)
Another flight to Takoradi heliport (40 mins)
Sit around for a couple of hours
A helicopter flight for around 30 min dropping me onto a vessel (FPSO) in the ocean.
Same journey in reverse 28 days later!!

You did ask! :D

@daveenty I hate you even more! ;)

I used to track FPSOs and other commodities for living

These days my commute is:

10 miles and 30 mins to client in the city of London
1hr and 50 mins back to home office in Wimbledon

few times a week, I do enjoy driving quite a bit more than public transport. The latter is full of people and more recently - bombs

Some very interesting replies on this thread :)

Up to two year ago is was outside to the car and I was at work, driving 95k ish miles a year.

I don't understand. Even if you worked 365 days a year, and worked 12 hours a day, that's still averaging 22mph. I can barely average that on my way to work bombing it on the motorway for the 7 miles between sliproads.

What am I missing?

I used to do a commute of 12 miles each way with occasional visits to other shops in the group.

I'm now retired and please myself what I do all day, I can recommend retirement as once you are used to it the days fly by.

Bruce and others who use public transport I raise my hat to you.

The stress of buses, trains etc would be the end of me, I just do not have the temperament or patience.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom