£4-6k doesn't buy much these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Indeed, what a bargain!! Haha

A W211 for £6k. What's the catch? Is that £6k deposit then 48 easy monthly payments with a final option to purchase! :)

[YOUTUBE]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WWnAdB-vkXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

Thank's Steve.....seen that before.....quite funny :)

A W211 for £6k. What's the catch? Is that £6k deposit then 48 easy monthly payments with a final option to purchase! :)

No, that's the full purchase price :thumb:

I'll tell you about it if you're interested.

A W211 for £6k. What's the catch?

He can't get anyone else to buy it for that much. Bang on the money as far as I can see.

E320 5Dr Estate 3.2 CDi Avantgarde Auto (2004/04)

Car valuation adjusted for 65,000 miles
Retail: £8,893

Private Good: £6,953
Private Average: £5,823
Private Poor: £4,633
Part Exchange: £6,393
Trade: £5,952

Well, seeing as I haven't even put it up for sale yet :rolleyes: that can hardly be.

Does that valuation adjust for spec as well? Add COMAND, Parktronic, 7 seats and detachable towbar.

Well, seeing as I haven't even put it up for sale yet :rolleyes: that can hardly be.

Does that valuation adjust for spec as well? Add COMAND, Parktronic, 7 seats and detachable towbar.

£6k is too cheap for your car Pete, in my opinion.

But I understand if you sell it to a forum member though, keeping it in the family and all that....:rock:

He can't get anyone else to buy it for that much. Bang on the money as far as I can see.

E320 5Dr Estate 3.2 CDi Avantgarde Auto (2004/04)

Car valuation adjusted for 65,000 miles
Retail: £8,893

Private Good: £6,953
Private Average: £5,823
Private Poor: £4,633
Part Exchange: £6,393
Trade: £5,952

So going by these figures, if you buy above car from a dealer, he has paid £5,952 and selling for £8,893 roughly 50% profit, can't be bad.

If you can actually get any more for those items you will be doing better than most dealers can.

Good luck with your sale :)

A2s are fantastic if you like the looks, we've owned 2, very cheap to fuel, lovely interior quality and suprisingly roomy for such a compact car.

Beware the open sky roof though - they break and cost many £££££ to fix. (I found to my cost)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I already have an A2. So am wondering whether I need two in my life :)
The residuals are excellent these days. I bought mine for £6k and now 2 years and 25k later I think it still may be worth £5k. I occasionally see low mileage examples for £8k, not bad for a +7yr old car.

You budget would stretch to a new shape Mondeo diesel estate. Have driven one for a few thousand miles and they are very good - huge car though.

So going by these figures, if you buy above car from a dealer, he has paid £5,952 and selling for £8,893 roughly 50% profit, can't be bad.

It doesn't always work that way.

Dealer buys car at 5K and sells it on to trade. Assume they make zero profit. Independent then spends £200 on tarting it up (alloys and some detailing) sticks it up at £7495.

Now if the independent is lucky he makes a sale at 7495 and pockets 2495 minus £200 minus VAT. So about £1.9K.

But in reality the £7495 sticker is maybe in hope that he'll make £7K plus some finance commision. So that's more like £1.5K plus extras.

Unfortunately he doesn't offload the car for three months. Drops the sticker price to £6495. Things are not looking so good. He's now looking at £1080 minus financing charges for his business and maybe some extras. And that's if he holds the sticker price.

Now time is getting on and it's Christmas time and business is slow and he's heading for needing to MOT the car and dropping the sticker price a bit more to shift.

Then once he does sell the car there's the issue of warranty.

So good days if the car goes quickly at top book. Bad days if the car goes slowly and dribbles down and incurs pre sale expenses and after sale expenses. Worse for the independent if the original dealer managed to make a margin on the car selling it on.

My Saab has to go. Too many niggles to mention. Spent another morning stripping the inlet manifold to find layers of black gunk, the joys of EGR valves I think. Buying a cheap hasn't been successful this time around. So now I'm looking out for a £4-6k diesel car. This is the pick of the crop off Autotrader. Nothing is shouting at me as the VFM option. Maybe the A-class and Octavia are good enough. Is this really the current market for diesel cars? Almost makes me want to go V8 petrol looking at those lot.

Make Model Year Spec Mileage Price
Audi A2 2002 1.4 TDI 95 £3,490
Audi A2 2004 1.4 TDI 76 £5,190
Audi A2 2004 1.4 TDI 80 £5,195
Audi A3 2005 2.0 TDI SE DSG 91 £4,995
Ford Fusion 2004 1.4 TDCI 60 £3,999
Mercedes A-class 2006 A180 CDI 71 £5,299
Skoda Octavia 2006 1.9 TDI Elegance DSG 58 £5,750
Skoda Roomster 2007 1.4 TDI 32 £5,750
VW Golf 2008 1.9 TDI Estate 92 £5,490

Chuffed to bits with my summer purchase of the CL420, paid £3250 and spent circa £2k to get it ''right''.
Proper motor car.

Mic

Chuffed to bits with my summer purchase of the CL420, paid £3250 and spent circa £2k to get it ''right''.
Proper motor car.

Possibly not going to achieve the 45+ mpg will is looking for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom