195/60 or 205/55 16's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fredfoxuk

Car
2010 C 180 SE
Hi

I've a a 2010 (10 plate) C 180 CGI Blue Efficiency (I think that's a W204 :) )

I've noticed a few cracks in the tyres between the tread blocks so want to get them changed out ASAP. The car currently has 195/60's fitted, however, when I type my reg into the likes of Blackcircles I'm presented with two choices of tyres, either 195/60 16 or 205/55 16.

The table referred to in the first sticky of this forum, there's no mention of 195/60 in the C Classs W/S204 section, it's possible I'm not reading it right though :)

The selection of tyres and prices seems to be better for the 205/55 but as the 205 is wider I'm not sure it'd fit on the rims I've got now.

On my old Vectra, the car came with 215/50 17's but 225/45 17's would also fit and were much better for grip and handling.

Finally the question :) Will 205/55's fit on the rims that the 195/60's are on? Any pitfalls (speedo)?

Thanks.

205/55 R16 is ideal for your car, and also quite cheap as this is a very common tyre size - even premium brands will only cost between £40 to £60 per corner.

This tyre requires 7J rims - but without knowing which rims you have now it is difficult to say if the 205 tyres will fit the current rims.

Many thanks for that - how do I know if I've got 7J rims? They're 7 spokes, 5 studs and look exactly like this :-

s-l300.jpg

195/60 is the correct tyre size for the Blue efficiency model. On my 2009 C180K BE They used that size to sneak under the emissions threshold for road fund tax as would you believe 205's pushes it up to the next tax bracket. In theory it should fail an MOT with the 205's as it's no longer compliant with the emission certificate but I can't see that happening.

Plus point is 205/55 will be substantially cheaper being a much more common size. Minus point there is a very small difference of -1.3% in the overall diameter so you should definitely change them in pairs and ideally all 4 to maintain the grip balance back to front. 1.3% is hardly a big deal on the speedo.

You can tell I've thought of doing the same thing when I'm due a tyre change. I didn't find the rim width yet though as it's not listed in the data card. Might be in the owners manual, I'll have to check.

Last edited:
The wheel size will be marked on the inner rim of the wheel somewhere- take the wheel off clean off the brake dust and check.
the two tyres have roughly the same rolling circumference
Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible
both will fit a 7 J rim altho the 205/55 R16 will be better.

a. Most wheel rims will have the J size stamped on the inside, or will have other identifying marks (e.g. Part Number) that would assist in establishing exact rim size, though the wheel will have to come off the car obviously.

b. Don't forget to notify your insurer of any change to tyre size or rims....

I spotted 4 x Uniroyal Rainsport 3 205/55 x 16 delivered from ebay for £160. I had these tyres on my A6 and really liked them

Many thanks to you all, I'll find out what the insurance company say then have a look a the wheel to find out what it is.

Just taken out the insurance with Hastings (after Admiral wanted to up our multi-car policy by £700 because I've been made redundant !) so hopefully they'll not be an issue.

Can't believe how cheap the 205/55's are :)

I spotted 4 x Uniroyal Rainsport 3 205/55 x 16 delivered from ebay for £160. I had these tyres on my A6 and really liked them

Yeah, had the Rainsport 3's on my Vectra and liked them a lot, had the Rainsport 2's before and they were good too.

The wheel size on these is actually stamped on the inner hub flange where the bolt holes are - should read something like 7JX16 H2 ET43

My 195 60 Michelins were fitted for £81 each by Kwikfit but they do last well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom