• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

1992 230e

FLYPOGGER

Car
Mercedes W124 230e, 1992
While I love the look of the wheels on my car, I cringe when I hit a pothole.
So I have bought a set of 8 hole wheels. In my first year of ownership, I've driven two thousand miles.
These wheels are 6 and a half Js, 15", They came fitted with some made in China branded tyres and only 185/65, should be 195/65.
While the car is still on lower springs I'm hoping the deeper profile will improve the ride.
This is the question:
There is a huge range of tyres out there, which usually come with 3 criteria. Rolling resistance, dB level and wet grip.
Almost seems pointless buying a premium brand tyre for the miles I cover, the tyres will have aged beyond their safe life expectancy before they're anywhere near worn out.

Anyone have any recommendations and prices?

Screenshot_20240921_095247_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

I would replace all the springs to original ride height if you are looking for smooth ride.
As you sat tyre should be 196/65. Loose the Chinese tyres and fit correct mid range tyres.

The £70 ish copy Klann type spring compressors for sale on ebay etc are not bad if you did want to change the springs back to OE. I have one and replaced a front diesel spring on my w201 190d without dying. A perilous task being in such close proximity to a highly compressed Mercedes spring but the one i bought showed no signs of stress doing the job.

The £70 ish copy Klann type spring compressors for sale on ebay etc are not bad if you did want to change the springs back to OE. I have one and replaced a front diesel spring on my w201 190d without dying. A perilous task being in such close proximity to a highly compressed Mercedes spring but the one i bought showed no signs of stress doing the job.

I'll have to see how the lowered car on standard wheels handles potholes. If I were to change the springs, it wouldn't be the car that I bought.
Last time I changed springs was in the 1970's on my Mk2 Cortina😊. Spring clamps weren't as substantial then. Front springs seem and easy DIY job, rear springs less so.

I'll have to see how the lowered car on standard wheels handles potholes. If I were to change the springs, it wouldn't be the car that I bought.
Last time I changed springs was in the 1970's on my Mk2 Cortina😊. Spring clamps weren't as substantial then. Front springs seem and easy DIY job, rear springs less so.
You would need a specific type of spring compressor, originally manufactured by a company called Klann tools, to change the front springs on your w124. Ordinary spring clamps are just not up to the job on w124 & w201 springs. The article below explains all.

You would need a specific type of spring compressor, originally manufactured by a company called Klann tools, to change the front springs on your w124. Ordinary spring clamps are just not up to the job on w124 & w201 springs. The article below explains all.

I've looked into it before 😊👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom