CLS 2016 shooting brake - wheels and tyres dilemma :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
True.....but unless you have a car with zero camber and toe and suspension that moves perfectly up and down with no changes of camber or trail (not really possible) and drive like Miss Daisey's chauffeur its very unlikely for that to happen. It will probably also handle like a pig on stilts!!

Given age of car i suspect a bit of wear in every bush and moving part in the set up will be deflecting under load to ruin the geometry when coming under load.

True.....but unless you have a car with zero camber and toe and suspension that moves perfectly up and down with no changes of camber or trail (not really possible) and drive like Miss Daisey's chauffeur its very unlikely for that to happen. It will probably also handle like a pig on stilts!!
Four Sprung Pork Technik

I have a 2913 CLS. They have an unusual offset so all the folk saying that there are cheap wheels on eBay need to check again.

Mine came with 19" AMG wheels like yours, but I changed them for 18s. There are multiple factory options listed in the handbook. I'm now on 255/40R18 all round and they are more comfortable, quieter and about 10% more economical than the tyres they replaced. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 and they have lost maybe 1.5mm tread in 5k miles or so. I paid £168 each from Asda tyres.

In my experience the best place to get wheels is the penz-v ebay store in Germany. Smaller more sensible wheels are popular there for winter use so there are more sets in circulation. I paid £350 for four, with something like £80 shipping.

These will fit 4 Orig Mercedes Benz Alloy Wheels 8.5Jx18 ET34.5 A2184010102 CLS W218 FM428 | eBay
Hi, I'm really grateful for this information! I was scouring Ebay and Facebook marketplace for ages looking for something that would fit, but you're right, there's a lot more availability from Germany and even factoring in the shipping the cost is not too bad! (although shipping is more like £170 now)

I have my eye on a set of these now 4 Orig Mercedes Benz Alloy Wheels 8.5Jx18 ET34.5 CLS C218 , a bit more than the ones you linked to; can't seem to find a picture of a CLS with these on the car, but they look similar to the AMG wheels so I think they'll look good

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 7
Yeah those are more expensive than mine but much sexier :)

Yeah those are more expensive than mine but much sexier :)
Cheers, I've gone ahead and bought them!

In retrospect I think I got a little dramatic when I first posted this thread topic... I was thinking I was going to be faced with a £2000 wheels and tyres bill every 12 months, I got a quote to sell my car and everything! 🤪 (also the quote was shocking, seems 2nd hand car values have gone down quite a bit recently...)

This is a much better solution. Thanks again to everyone who posted help, I really appreciate it. I understand what to look for in tyres better now too (highest load rating available etc), and can adjust my driving style. I'll report back with a ride quality update and photos in a few weeks.

Very happy with them. Ride is noticeably better too. I still prefer the oe 19 turbine style, but these are definitely a close 2nd, and if they don't keep cracking every few months then I can definitely live with them!

I did forget that when buying from that German eBay seller there would be customs import charges, but these still ended up being a good deal. £1200 all in, including postage and customs, for what appear pristine wheels with virtually new tyres, centre caps, and tpms. Nearly paid that much for 4 tyres...

They remind me of these!

1703945418347.png

Very happy with them. Ride is noticeably better too. I still prefer the oe 19 turbine style, but these are definitely a close 2nd, and if they don't keep cracking every few months then I can definitely live with them!

I did forget that when buying from that German eBay seller there would be customs import charges, but these still ended up being a good deal. £1200 all in, including postage and customs, for what appear pristine wheels with virtually new tyres, centre caps, and tpms. Nearly paid that much for 4 tyres...
For reference this is what the car looked like on 19s. I can't post in classifieds yet, but these will be for sale once I've cleaned them up

Attachments

• PXL_20220618_2047403332.jpg
    PXL_20220618_2047403332.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 19
I prefer those new ones to the turbines tbh. And yeah sorry I forgot about import charges - I bought mine before Brexit!

I prefer those new ones to the turbines tbh. And yeah sorry I forgot about import charges - I bought mine before Brexit!
Thanks! And thanks again for putting me onto that German Ebay seller, I'd use them again in future

@KillerHERTZ would you help me out by deleting this image in post #28, as I prefer not to display my number plate. I made a mistake when uploading it...thanks!

Done. FYI. Just click the report post button in future.

I have always put the Pirelli Pzero on my CLS350 Shooting Brake... simply as that was what it came with... but last time, again as I was not sure about keeping or not, I put Nankangs all round... this was simply as I needed/wanted all four and I could not fit a front and rear set anywhere..... and I can honestly say I can/hear no difference from between them.... the Nankangs 'may' break out a wee bit quicker, but it is never an issue.

I would happily by them again!

They probably grip better than the P Zeros anyway!.... what doesn't unless you spend all your time in the Med or only drive in summer? They are pretty rubbish below about 20 degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom