2002 stage 2 SL55 or 2015 S1 Audi S4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JAGNUT

Car
Jaguar XJL
Came here as I have a decision to make - I have the option on two cars, both the same price, I cannot have both, I realise there could be some bias here but I need a sanity check - I apologise to all those here that may be tired of such questions.

Would those here consider a 2002 Stage 2 SL55 AMG running approx 600HP be a good 'investment' - the current owner can no longer get insurance for it so it has to go. it has been standing around for at least 9 months

The S4 is running circa 400HP but I'd wager is quicker and more comfortable than the Merc - BUT - I'm wondering whether the SL55 is the better long term investment.

Would the SL55 be a good choice, I'm using the investment term loosely but I think the SL would hold value better than the Audi but the Audi being an estate is infinitely more practical- thoughts please - I don't have long left to decide which way I go

I read a few threads here, and a few elsewhere, seems the SL55 AMG isn't really what I expected, many many downsides not least of which are the complexity of some systems and the potential to cost the cars value to fix, I really don't need another project car, apologies to the community but I think I will go with the 2015 Quattro S4

Came here as I have a decision to make - I have the option on two cars, both the same price, I cannot have both, I realise there could be some bias here but I need a sanity check - I apologise to all those here that may be tired of such questions.

Would those here consider a 2002 Stage 2 SL55 AMG running approx 600HP be a good 'investment' - the current owner can no longer get insurance for it so it has to go. it has been standing around for at least 9 months

The S4 is running circa 400HP but I'd wager is quicker and more comfortable than the Merc - BUT - I'm wondering whether the SL55 is the better long term investment.

Would the SL55 be a good choice, I'm using the investment term loosely but I think the SL would hold value better than the Audi but the Audi being an estate is infinitely more practical- thoughts please - I don't have long left to decide which way I go
Both nice cars but they’re totally different beasts and as soon as you started talking about which is faster and which is a better investment I lost interest.

Do you want an estate or a convertible?

Although I'm a Mercedes man through and through, I'd never consider or recommend an R230 SL55.
Too complex, expensive suspension components when they will inevitably go wrong and worst of the lot, many leak like a sieve.

Audi's also have their fair share of weak points, but the far newer car would be my choice every time.

The SL55 is a very comfortable and fast car. I'm not sure what your expectations are but in my opinion. When comparing it to something like say a V8 Vantage of similar age, it's twice the car. Comparing it to an S4 is like apples and oranges. I'm not sure if either can be considered investments.

Both are great cars but very different. The SL 55 is a very special car - and will feel special to drive - a really good example will cost surprisingly very little to maintain most years, but a car needing repairs or which has not been maintained properly could be ruinously expensive.

In the product line up they were the equivalent of the AMG GT or SLS AMG - and cost around £100k twenty years ago, when the average house price was arpund £130k - and whilst they’re much less expensive to buy now, the parts are priced according to the new price.

Both are great cars but very different. The SL 55 is a very special car - and will feel special to drive - a really good example will cost surprisingly very little to maintain most years, but a car needing repairs or which has not been maintained properly could be ruinously expensive.

In the product line up they were the equivalent of the AMG GT or SLS AMG - and cost around £100k twenty years ago, when the average house price was arpund £130k - and whilst they’re much less expensive to buy now, the parts are priced according to the new price.
20 years ago (Nov 2003) we paid £160,000 for a 2 bed flat in Eastcote.

I was after something different initially and the SL55 ticked all the boxes, fancied an E63 but couldn't find a good one, looked at a CL500, I don't care massively about MPG - hell my SV8 needed feeding disgustingly often - struggled to do a London / Manchester trip without filling up twice - you could but it was no fun at all - my XJS (5.3 V12 is ruinous - 8mpg if you're lucky).

As far as the SL55 goes I started reading the stories of leaky roof seals, brakes, suspension and also looked at the 'spares' markets I started losing interest, I need a car I can leave at an airport for a week or two and be sure it would be OK, not a swimming pool or a target for the greater unwashed, the SL was further kicked in the head by a ridiculous £900 insurance quote - I'm 63 and have never had a claim for anything other than glass. I looked also at some threads here regarding how many SL55's there were made, how the first generations are less desireable, even stories of SL560's that are almost worthless - all on here.

As for what I want I wasn't really sure, the only thing I knew is that my relationship with the newer Jaguars is over they aren't a patch on the old ones (have a V12 XJS sat in the garage). I've had plenty of muscle cars but always sought the more subtle ones, the sleeper, the Volvo T5, had an S8, had a Passat W8, Jaguar SV8, BMW M3 (used the term break my wallet with that thing), I've even had an Evo but there was nothing subtle about that and after 10 miles you were deaf and crippled - I'm more GT than techno rocket - I prefer an armchair to a bucket seat, but I still like to have a bit of fun when the mood takes. So what did I want - didn't know - saw the SL and loved how it looked but got the impression it would be a never ending project.

I have gone with the S4 because I really don't want to be losing sleep over what will break next - that's one reason the XJL is going it is an electrical menace, my SV8 was the same, I think all modern jags must be daily drivers quite literally - well I don't do the daily driver thing anymore - my commute to the office is across the landing of the house generally via the kitchen - and if I'm not doing that the car sits in an airport - beyond that it is pretty much exclusively weekend use.

If you're comfortable with an XJS V12, there's nothing on an SL55 that should concern you and you'll feel at home because it's a solid GT car that's capable of very high speeds. The car itself is probably closer to an XJS than an R107.

Like an XJS, you just need to make sure that you buy the right one, or (and) make sure that you have the right kind of mechanic maintaining it. Whether that's you or someone else If you want a real revelation, find an SL65.

I think the big topic with the XJS V12 is that the poor ones tend to be poor because people thought they could run one on beer money - you cannot, I do all my own work - time served in the trade but left it long ago - with the XJS that's possible because the parts are still pretty easy to find and they aren't that expensive, some of the parts for the Mercedes are eyewatering. There is a lot of scaremongering about the Jaguar V12 but properly maintained it is no issue. If the owner or mechanic that works on it is one of those types that need a laptop to diagnose a car then for sure don't let them near it, gotta know what you're doing, you cannot maintain it on a 'when it breaks' basis - you gotta do lots of stuff and do it regularly, they also don't like sitting around though mine never sees a winter road, usually takes a couple of weeks to shake the wrinkles out and that is having spent 3 months or so in a carcoon ...

I'll keep my eyes open for an SL65 and see if I can get some time behind the wheel.

I'm familiar with V12 Jags (currently own 4) and their maintenance issues. I also own an SL55. The SL55 will be Toyota reliable by comparison. You should have no problems with parts availability given that the oldest SL will be about a decade newer than the newest XJS, and many parts are shared across the R230 lineup.
Take care of the roof seals and the roof seals will be taken care of.
Keep the ABC fluid clean and replace the accumulators when they go bad and it will remain reliable.

The engine and gearbox itself is bomb proof. I had an S55 with the same motor that had 180k miles and was mechanically sound. The M113 motor is pretty much bomb proof. If you're talking investments, I'm going to assume that you're looking for a low mileage original as nothing else will fit that bill. It's it's low mileage and well maintained, keep it that way and you'll be fine.

I’m not wishing to influence your thoughts in any way - because I think you’ve made the right decision for you - however what you’ve said regarding the importance of maintenance and parts availability/pricing on the XJS is similarly true for an SL55, especially if you can do the work yourself.

SL55 reached a price point where people thought they could run them for buttons which really meant they completely skipped maintenance and repairs. Those cars prove to be expensive to run for future owners because there’s so much to catch-up on, especially if paying someone else, so just like your beer money XJS comments.

I'll keep my eyes open for an SL65 and see if I can get some time behind the wheel.
Given your concerns regarding the SL55 I would keep well away from an SL65 (V12). Like the SL55 a good one will be fine, but one which has been neglected in the past could be even more ruinous. I’d stick with the SL55 if an SL ends up being your thing.

Given your concerns regarding the SL55 I would keep well away from an SL65 (V12).

The one to avoid is the SL350 with the V6 engine. Why? Because everybody knows that a V12 is twice as reliable as a V6.

2x Cylinders = 2x Reliability

Struggling to understand this Jaguar V12 comparison. Designed, built and maintained more like two decades apart, these vehicles were built to a completely different ethic.

The R230 is Toyota-like reliable compared to the Browns lane XJS, and the SL55 is on a different planet in terms of performance.

If you want something that breaks and needs fixing, stay with Jaguar.

If you want comparable bhp to the Jaguar V12, but much better driving, reliability and economy, then just buy an SL500.

If you need a dramatic increase in performance as you drive very slowly to the airport, choose the SL55.

SL65? There are 60 in the country, none of them being used regularly. It’s just a piece of art to be admired and talked about at the Golf Club, unless you live on the Isle of Man and need bread from Douglas in a hurry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom