2002 W203 CDI auto box not selecting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
please go away DSM. All you want to do is argue. I have no interest in that.
just saw your last sentence. GREAT

For the record I have not argued anything. Just because someone holds a contrary position to you does not mean they are arguing merely putting forward a different view.

The majority of posts from others have suggested as have I that you get a proper diagnostic from someone who knows what they are doing. Your ego does not seem to allow this.

You ,however have been arrogant and judgemental. Try adding something useful to the Forum rather than your attitude, after all it was you that broke your own car despite your apparent self expressed expertise in things mechanical and electronic.

Anyway, you go your own sweet way, the majority of people posting here do so in good faith and with the wish to help others not just want answers on demand.

I am adding you to my ignore list so I will not have my screen cluttered with anymore of your self obsessed drivel.

Last edited:
That is excellent DSM -1. Thank you for your cooperation as requested in post 38.

Today I put the icarsoft MB V2.00 on to see if it would help me, but it was not able to communicate with the transmission. I did a resistance test on the wires from the pilot bushing to the ECU. Two of the wires were broken.

Because the heat shield was missing the wires became brittle and snapped when they were disturbed. I soldered them and put the scanner on again and I was able to get a reading. I cleared the codes and the box is back to normal.

I must now source a wiring loom and replace the "toasted loom"

dear oh dear , limp mode eh? and it will only happen sometimes ? check your battery , how old is the battery you do have a volt meter?) , oh yes one more thing once it has gone into limp mode you will need to scan tool it to remove the error/s . as it will stick like a croc to a fresh kangaroo kill. oh also did you make sure the connector on the auto went in all the way correctly ? might need to pull it clean it with electoral cleaner and make sure it goes in correctly. but as it goes it really does sound like limp mode and active and possible is weak battery. (no sometimes the warning light will not come on) check it on a volt meter as aged battery can also cause issues even though the benz still starts with it. (and does this model have a back up battery?)

good to hear that you found the problem still I would check what wires broke ?(solenoids/ sensor power etc) I have a 07 jeep that runs the same type of gearbox , it had lost CCS (solenoid) I used 2.5 ml wire and replaced and by passed where the wires ran on top of box behind the engine through the passenger firewall across the dash down to the centre consul to the TCM (no wonder wires break) I bypassed through the drivers side firewall and down to the 13 pin connector. using solder and heat shrink tubing fixed with no issue.
it would be nice to know what wires were broken and what error codes you got.

@ Choo it was a solenoid and a power. I forget whether I saved the codes or not. I suspected the wires from the start as they felt hard and brittle, so when the scanner was not able to get into very much I just went with my hunch and checked each wire. When I had them repaired I just told the scanner to clear the codes. I will check later to see if I have a record of the codes.

The loom in the w203 is much, much shorter as the TCM is in the passenger footwell, so a small enough job to swap it out.
Battery is new and it does not have a second battery.

Thanks AltonAnt. Initially, having finished with the gearbox and after doing the engine jobs, I gave one last check on the pilot bushing to make sure it was seated ok and without leaks. That check must have been enough to part the wires as it was running perfect beforehand.
Now to sort out the ESP as it has popped up out of the blue

@ Choo it was a solenoid and a power. I forget whether I saved the codes or not. I suspected the wires from the start as they felt hard and brittle, so when the scanner was not able to get into very much I just went with my hunch and checked each wire. When I had them repaired I just told the scanner to clear the codes. I will check later to see if I have a record of the codes.

The loom in the w203 is much, much shorter as the TCM is in the passenger footwell, so a small enough job to swap it out.
Battery is new and it does not have a second battery.
good to know , you could always make the loom up yourself ? just as long as you use the same size wire made from the same conductor, I use a different type of scanner from the STAR , mine covers most , if not all cars and has life time updates and will give error code and what it means. good luck classiccarzone , I hope you register the car very soon.

@choo tank you. I just need to sort the ESP now and all should be well..... until the next problem:(

ESP now sorted; well actually it was never in trouble. While the icarsoft scanner is scanning it disables the ESP and the BAS:oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom