• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

2007 C55 Estate, laundry list

They wouldn't ship it outside the US, and when a friend looked at buying it for me and shipping it he couldn't get a cost below a thousand pounds (!) for the shipping.

Message from Craig this morning "Hi tanks out and subframes gone for coating , brake pipes are in a terrible state , and lots of rust but no real rot as such . I think we have it just in time , we are de rusting it then etch primer , re coat it . Then new rear brake pipes , and new bushes in subframe when it’s back from coaters"

50348058356_8b88a35049_b.jpg

50348213782_076cd5ce80_b.jpg

50348213882_3ea10c1c51_b.jpg

50347362803_f2e3d37cb3_b.jpg

50347362908_f13544b64e_b.jpg

50347363043_72615a0030_b.jpg

50348059031_158a88a899_b.jpg

50348059206_91aabc3a47_b.jpg

The state of the floor/sills/etc is actually more concerning than the subframe, and of course the brake pipes.

Any other owners of these reading this thread - I'd recommend taking a very good look underneath. I think one more winter might have finished mine off.

Here's a question (fresh from my insurance renewal person): where can I get my C55 valued? I need an official valuation that I can send to Locktons, otherwise they'll use "market value", which I suspect is not going to be what I'd like it to be.

For my 911 they'll accept a valuation from the indy garage that looks after it (Precision Porsche in Uckfield), but DDR don't engage in values, apparently.

The official MB Club has a valuations team

Don't be surprised if none of the work you have carried out gets taken into consideration and adds little to no value when they carry out their appraisal! :wallbash:

Well, it was only done because it needed to be done, so in that respect it may not add a premium. I speak as a serial investor in my local indy.

Well, it was only done because it needed to be done, so in that respect it may not add a premium. I speak as a serial investor in my local indy.

That was my point of contention with the valuation. I have spent a considerable amount of money on my C43 restoration and obviously wanted the insurance valuation to reflect that. It is fully documented and photographed.
There is no way a 'market value' of the same model would come anywhere close if you were trying to replace like for like. As you are supposed to be no worse off than your original position (should the worst happen) as that is the point of insurance, I was quite surprised to find out otherwise.

Paying for an independent valuation from a nominated expert in their field, to me was a bit of a waste of time. Just my experience.

How would I best contact the official MB Club?

They will not carry out a valuation if you are not a member. You have to sign up 1st, (approx £48pa) and only then will they engage with you.

Hi Abb, I agree with you on all counts. I'd never realise anywhere near the value of my car should it be written off.

Reactions: Abb
Well done for taking this on and whether it adds value or not, it was something that needed doing.
Looks great too.

Thank goodness you attended to that in time. That's really satisfying maintenance that you've commissioned.

Thanks chaps - and yes, very satisfying to have turned the clock back on the underside of the car.

I've been very impressed by the speed, quality, and communication about the work that Dyno Torque has done - it'll be interesting to see the bill!

One thing I would say is that I've tried to be as transparent as I can in this thread about what running this car has cost me, and whilst I am aware of the sunk-cost fallacy I couldn't consider scrapping the car due to this issue.

Craig (owner of Dyno Torque) observed this morning that whilst the floor and the sub-frame both looked bad they weren't posing any imminent danger to the car and it's occupants - but the brake lines, on the other hand, very definitely were. He used the phrase "just in time" a lot when talking about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom