• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

2007 W164 (ML63) - Which Power Steering Fluid?

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, ML63, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
As per the title; could Somebody Who Knows tell me which power steering fluid to use, and what colour it should be when fresh? I've seen Dexron IID, Dexron III, ATF, and one or two others mentioned, and the Owners' Manual doesn't give any information at all (that I can find, anyway..). I'm confused :dk:

I had this same problem a while back , the fluid in my system was basically worn out and black . after much research (that MB fluids chart that sometimes pops up on here is often not much help) I ended up buying it from MB (at great expense) via my VIN number . Now that I know that it's the green stuff Comma MVCHF (CHF11S/CHF202) is the 'go to' . Actually I did the job just last week .

Now . The age of your car would make me think you need 'the green stuff' , but my advice would be not to take critical advice like this from some bloke on the internet.

PS , replace the filter at the same time , if your car has one . It's in the expansion tank.

PS filter.JPG cut ps.JPG steering fluid 2024.jpg

Hope it is Pentosin/CHF11S; I've got some of that...

Yes , thats the good green stuff Pentosin CHF11S, apparently V high quality . Annoyingly my car holds a smidgen over one litre after a full fluid change so I end up with almost a full bottle of (opened) fluid on the shelf that I will not need for a very long time .

Unless leaking the PS uses no fluid .

I used this febi stuff.
IMG_2830.jpeg

This was how I did it . I “bottled” changing the top filter because a YouTube thingy I had watched talked about a pain in the whatsit rear connection.

Opie Oils specify Motul ATF Fully Synthetic. I thought ATF and Pentosin/CHF11S were not interchangeable.

Then there's this:

Oils Chart.jpg

Presumably they're interchangeable? :dk:

My brain hurts, Brian...

Last edited:
The febi bottle I mentioned above is MB 345.0 spec . For my car

After wasting much time chasing up blind alleys, I think what is needed is an MB 236.3 fluid. I have various Febi fluids, but not 08972, which that is. Fortuitously, my local ECP has a bottle; sorted.

After wasting much time chasing up blind alleys, I think what is needed is an MB 236.3 fluid. I have various Febi fluids, but not 08972, which that is. Fortuitously, my local ECP has a bottle; sorted.
That’s the easy bit done , now to changing it :)

All I wanted was to top it up. It had just started groaning slightly when using the steering, and the little dipstick was dry. Topped up, and it's quiet again.

It wil be drained when the leaking rack is removed, I would think. The recon rack arrives tomorrow, but Terry Gates can't do the job for a couple of weeks, and I want to use the ML in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom