2015 E class internet problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Distronic

Car
W204 C class
Hi, so I just picked up my new E class the other day and saw that it will use my phone to connect to the internet and give me internet radio, weather and so on. Last night (first night of ownership) it worked great and I was enjoying foreign internet radio:D but today when I go back to the Mercedes Apps it just says "this data service is currently unavailable" even though my phone says it has established an internet connection with the car. Have been trying few times for whole day but I just get the same message.

Also, I noticed when I drove the car away from dealer that the ECO mode never once worked to shut the car off when stopped. ECO is yellow on the display meaning that one of the criteria for it to function isn't being met but I really can't think which one?

Both probs are just as annoying ha ha! Any help much appreciated thanks.

Also, I noticed when I drove the car away from dealer that the ECO mode never once worked to shut the car off when stopped. ECO is yellow on the display meaning that one of the criteria for it to function isn't being met but I really can't think which one?

Both probs are just as annoying ha ha! Any help much appreciated thanks.

Re the ECO the car needs to be at running temp ;)

The Internet service was down for the past two weeks. This morning it worked again. Haven't tried it since, but it may have gone off again...

Also, which phone do you have? Keep on mind that Android phones need to have Bluetooth Tethering enabled, but the default is Off (e.g. if you reboot the phone).

Re Stop/Start, even assuming the car was stood at the dealer for a while and the battery ran low, a 30 minutes urban drive should be more than enough to charge the two batteries (main battery and auxiliary battery) back to a sufficient level for the Stop/Start function to work (ECO turns green).

If the ECO symbol remains yellow, than 9 out of 10 it will be down to one or both batteries needing replacing. There are other things that can cause it, but again in the vast majority of cases it will be a weak battery.

Unfortunately there will no fault codes logged in memory if the Stop/Start function does not engage due to weak battery. It is also difficult to diagnose because the battery will behave normally otherwise. The only way to find out is by replacing both batteries, one at a time.

On your 2015 car the auxiliary battery might actually be a capacitor hidden behind the slam panel in the passenger footwell. On earlier cars it was a small-size lead-acid battery in the boot.

So it could be an uphill struggle getting the dealer to acknowledge the issue and replace either battery in the absence of any fault codes.

I would try and get the dealer to replace the capacitor (if fitted), early ones were known to fail.

You will also likely get advice here to leave the Stop/Start alone, many dislike this feature and consider it a blessing when it fails. You will also hear that the frequent engine starts shorten battery life and stretch the timing chain.

Personally, I mostly turn it off anyway, but I still think that everything on the car should be in perfect working order, even if I don't use it. Even more so on a car that is still covered by dealer warranty.

Re Stop/Start, even assuming the car was stood at the dealer for a while and the battery ran low, a 30 minutes urban drive should be more than enough to charge the two batteries (main battery and auxiliary battery) back to a sufficient level for the Stop/Start function to work (ECO turns green).

If the ECO symbol remains yellow, than 9 out of 10 it will be down to one or both batteries needing replacing. There are other things that can cause it, but again in the vast majority of cases it will be a weak battery.

Unfortunately there will no fault codes logged in memory if the Stop/Start function does not engage due to weak battery. It is also difficult to diagnose because the battery will behave normally otherwise. The only way to find out is by replacing both batteries, one at a time.

On your 2015 car the auxiliary battery might actually be a capacitor hidden behind the slam panel in the passenger footwell. On earlier cars it was a small-size lead-acid battery in the boot.

So it could be an uphill struggle getting the dealer to acknowledge the issue and replace either battery in the absence of any fault codes.

I would try and get the dealer to replace the capacitor (if fitted), early ones were known to fail.

You will also likely get advice here to leave the Stop/Start alone, many dislike this feature and consider it a blessing when it fails. You will also hear that the frequent engine starts shorten battery life and stretch the timing chain.

Personally, I mostly turn it off anyway, but I still think that everything on the car should be in perfect working order, even if I don't use it. Even more so on a car that is still covered by dealer warranty.
Yeah exactly whilst I'm covered I will make sure to sort this out. I was thinking it was one of the batteries too. I checked the voltage of the one under the bonnet and it was fine but come to think of it I ignored the one in the boot (yep on mine it's also in boot). Will check voltage of it tomorrow. Personally I quite like the ECO function as I think it honestly does save some fuel and its really nice to have a whisper silent cabin when the car is stationary (nice touch). Granted, is a bit annoying if you are waiting to turn right in middle of road but in that case I always switch it off.

The Internet service was down for the past two weeks. This morning it worked again. Haven't tried it since, but it may have gone off again...

Also, which phone do you have? Keep on mind that Android phones need to have Bluetooth Tethering enabled, but the default is Off (e.g. if you reboot the phone).
Ah! That prob explains it then. I just have to wait ha ha! I have an iPhone7, I think that as long as hotspot is on then that's all I need to do on the phone right?

Re the ECO the car needs to be at running temp ;)
Sadly ECO never worked for the whole few hours I drove the car home from dealer. Talking of temp, just remembered that one of the criteria for the ECO mode to function (as per owners manual) is that the interior temperature must have reached the temperature set on the AC system. To be honest I can kind of see how that might be a it impossible to achieve since lets say I put the AC to 19 degrees, I doubt that the entire cabin would actually get to 19 degrees?

Also, could anyone tell me why at speeds of over 60MPH there is a whining noise (almost like a little bit of wind whining) Mostly when I press the accelerator, then the whine goes when I take my foot off accelerator? Come to think of it this wasn't happening yesterday on motorway home so strange!?

Sadly ECO never worked for the whole few hours I drove the car home from dealer. Talking of temp, just remembered that one of the criteria for the ECO mode to function (as per owners manual) is that the interior temperature must have reached the temperature set on the AC system. To be honest I can kind of see how that might be a it impossible to achieve since lets say I put the AC to 19 degrees, I doubt that the entire cabin would actually get to 19 degrees?

My money is on the main battery or the capacitor. Getting the dealer to replace them is another matter.....

Tell me about it :oops:

Is this an Approved Used car from an MB dealer? Or just bought from a trader?

Is this an Approved Used car from an MB dealer? Or just bought from a trader?
I bought it from a dealer, found it on Autotrader. I have the warranty certificate, but in my experience, these dealer warranties are far from comprehensive.

I bought it from a dealer, found it on Autotrader. I have the warranty certificate, but in my experience, these dealer warranties are far from comprehensive.

Well, it must be worth a shot....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom