2015 W205 Offside Rear Door Handle LED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rg1976

Car
C250D BLUETEC AMG LINE PREMIUM PLUS
My rear door LED has failed, it was intermittent but is now dead. I took it into Listers Hull thinking it would be covered under the extended warranty but it was not. They quoted £260 to replace it and I laughed. Has anyone challenged the warranty policy, as the LEDs are not maintainable pieces of equipment as the door card needs to be removed and a panel held with rivets drilled out to get access? Failing that, what cost would an independent charge or is it a DIY job for a reasonably skilled person?

Cheers

Last edited:
Is it worth it?
I've had all 4 replaced and the ones in the mirrors under warranty, so 6 in all. If they went again now the warranty is up, I think I'd not bother to replace them.

I got goodwill from Esplanade on the Isle of Wight...Cost me about £60 when my drivers door one went out...the car was out of warranty...big job for a silly little bulb...definitely no drilling of rivets required though...Have you got full MB Service history?

Did the 2 rear doors on my S205 a few months ago. The LED's cost just over £15.00 each, 1st one took me 4 & 1/2 hrs the second one 1 & 1/2 hrs. No rivet drilling on mine, just bolts & torx bits. Once you know how it all comes apart it's not that difficult. Youtube will help for some of the processes.

They told me the doors had pressure senors to set off the air bags in the case of a collision, and if the door card wasn'tt sealed up the pressure sensor may not trip properly. Seems like a deeply flawed design. Was looking at an E400d next, but things like this are really putting me off.

The last time I looked the rear doors on a C class don't have airbags.

Farmer boyActive Member
The fix is a faff but part is not expensive. You need two thorax screwdrivers and a simple plastic trim remover. Tools will cost you about £12 on EBay. LED from MB Newcastle on EBay is under £18 delivered. No air bag in rear door so maybe a story to encourage you not to go DIY?

For those who want to tackle the LED change I posted details in this thread a while ago:
GLC exterior handle LED light colour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom