2016 E Class rear number plate removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

673NN

Car
2014 CLS 250 CDi AMG Line Sport and 2016 E Class Convertible AMG Line Premium
Hi all,

Im putting private plates on. The rear number late is located in a thin black plastic holder and there is no obvious way to see how the old plate can be removed from this holder. Its a pretty tight fit. The holder is not like the older ones where you can unclip the base and top and the plates could be removed easily.

I don't want to start going at it with a flathead screwdriver to prize off the number plate, but as i say, there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to remove the plate. Can anyone give me any pointers?

On both sides around the middle, there should be a lip, get a very small flat screwdriver, and slowly open, both sides will fold down.

The above is how I do it in my W213, if yours is different, then post a picture, and others may give you a pointer.

Thanks for the replies. So i had a go at removing the plate. As said, there was no obvious way to remove the sides etc of the based to get the plate out which was sitting snuggly in the base. So I prised off the plate with plastic trim tools and the plate was stuck on with sticky pads. The based was screwed on the boot lid in the usual four places. Its an aftermarket based as someone suggested earlier.

Thanks for the replies. So i had a go at removing the plate. As said, there was no obvious way to remove the sides etc of the based to get the plate out which was sitting snuggly in the base. So I prised off the plate with plastic trim tools and the plate was stuck on with sticky pads. The based was screwed on the boot lid in the usual four places. It’s an aftermarket based as someone suggested earlier.
Glad it’s sorted. Some Mercedes dealers used to supply those - or something very similar - in fact they were my favourite type. Not seen them for sale for some years though.

I’m just about to tackle this on mine later , it may also be stuck on with sticky pads as I see no joints in the frame . Hopefully the plinth will survive but not holding out much hope as those sticky pads can be very very stubborn

Sounds like my issue is the same, Estate version of W213 and I cannot see how to get the plate out of the frame. I dont have to unscrew it from the inside of the tailgate do I ? How do I remove the plate without snapping it ?20240117_140259.jpg

Sounds like my issue is the same, Estate version of W213 and I cannot see how to get the plate out of the frame. I dont have to unscrew it from the inside of the tailgate do I ? How do I remove the plate without snapping it ?View attachment 152049
The yellow plate is held to the black frame using sticky pads.

Fine screwdriver between the yellow plate and black frame, at one end. Lever it up carefully, pushing the screwdriver in further as the gap opens up. Lever it up further to break the hold of the sticky pads.

It’s unlikely to snake the plate unless they’ve use lots of No More Nails. Take care of the paintwork, to ensure the screwdriver doesn’t mark it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom